PDA

View Full Version : converting a pattern in crochet on ravelry?

Beauty4Ashes
02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I just made a scoody for myself. Now dd wants me to make one for her. I'd love to just use the same pattern for her as I did for myself, but 1. I'm not sure if I'd use the same types of yarn, and 2. I'd like to figure out how much yarn that I'd need in advance before I start to crochet it, only to discover that I don't have enough. Is it possible to input a pattern on ravelry and have it be converted to a different size?

Kiara.I
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
As far as I know, only if you find someone who's done the same thing, and check what they used. Or if the pattern you used is more of a "recipe" where you input gauge, and some measurements, and it spits out the instructions. But it doesn't sound like that's what you were using.

Marielle
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
The safest way to play it would be to buy as much yarn as you used in your own version. Obviously you'll have leftovers but you're starting with a closer ballpark than not having made one at all and then you can note the amount of yarn you end up using as a closer ballpark for the future. I also agree with Kiara that unless it's a recipe you won't get any closer than guessing.

Beauty4Ashes
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I will need to FROG what I started for dd; I assumed that since she is not yet 4, that I could just cut the numbers in half. Unfortunately, the hood now will only fit a baby doll. I measured her head & neck circumferences and from her forehead to the nape of her neck. If I make the foundation chain about 9" long but don't make as many rows, it should fit her. I'm a bit scared about the risk of choking/strangulation, so instead of a long scarf, I'll make the part to cover her neck just slightly larger than her neck and sew a button on it. It will be cute. First, though, I have got to study for an exam. :)