PDA

View Full Version : Hiding ends - cotton yarn

Iarwain
02-05-2012, 08:47 PM
I made a sweet baby sweater for the niece that's due this month but I'm worried about the yarn ends. I have had trouble in the past with cotton yarn ends working just a bit loose and looking fuzzy. I want this sweater to be perfect! Anyone have any tips or new ideas? It's Sugar 'n Cream yarn.

GlobalMama
02-06-2012, 04:30 AM
I used to use cotton almost exclusively and this was the one thing that drove me bonkers. Eventually what I would do is do patters where I could use the tail for something. I'd make it really long to incorporate it into a chin strap, or use it to attach a button, etc.

If the sweater has buttons, you could try that. If not, I would just make sure to weave the ends in vertically (from the neck to the waist or vice versa) so that if it does get fuzzy, it won't show on the outside. I used to rub lanolin over my fingers and twist the ends before I wove. Of course it wasn't a permanent fix, but it helped at least make it presentable.

Iarwain
02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks. I already sewed the buttons on with thread. I'm thinking maybe I should weave them in and then take a couple tight, hidden stitches with sewing thread over the very ends. Think that'll work? I really don't want them working loose!

Wonder Woman
02-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I find splitting the plies and weaving them in individually really helps...

Iarwain
02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
:think That would make the extra thickness less noticeable too... I'll give that some serious consideration. I'm not in a hurry to finish rightnowtoday so plenty of time to gather ideas and decide what to do as long as it's done and sent before baby gets here. :)

GlobalMama
02-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Oooh, that's a really good idea!

Marielle
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Yup, splitting the weave and then just because I get peeved when things come undone after hard work I'd tack down the ends with matching sewing thread. :D

Iarwain
02-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much the decision I came to. I haven't done it yet, but I figure even if it's overkill it can't hurt. :)