PDA

View Full Version : interchangeable knitting needles

lizzyd
02-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I was thinking about getting one of these sets. But it seems like the cables come in 20+ inches and one of the first projects I have in my queue is a hat on 16 inch needles. So I'm confused - can I find shorter cables? Is the set a good investment?

ellies mom
02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
The set is definitely a good investment even if they don't make 16" needles. I think the tips may be too long for the 16" size.

I have a set of the Harmony needles and then I just buy the 16" as I need them. If I was buying other things from Knitpicks I'd just tack them on to the order but if I want instant gratification I just buy them at a B&M store. Joanns usually has a decent selection of bamboo needles which is my preference after wood.

gardenfreshmama
02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
I love my interchangables, but it is annoying that they don't come in shorter sizes. I either buy them as I need them, or use the magic loop method with the super long (36"?) cables.

Kiara.I
02-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Typically, you can't get the shorter lengths because the tips have to be too long to make that length of cable possible.

That said, you can do magic loop with a longer cable.

Or, my preference, you can use two circulars and then you can knit down to a diameter of 2 stitches. Pretty small. ;) And, with the interchangeables, it's *easy* to have two of the same size needle. What you do is put one tip of the correct size on each cable. Then on the other end of the cable, you put a tip that's slightly smaller. As long as you are knitting *onto* the correct size tip, the other one can be smaller and it won't mess up your gauge. :tu Hence why interchangeables rock. (to my mind...)

allisonintx
02-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I love knitting on two circs. I can get it down to one stitch on each cable w/o any problem, if I need to.

Thankfulforgrace
02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Well ok, I'm not cool enough to get the two circulars :shifty but I barely ever use my interchangeables and I'm always buying 16 inch circs now. :sigh :shrug

Kiara.I
02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Well ok, I'm not cool enough to get the two circulars :shifty but I barely ever use my interchangeables and I'm always buying 16 inch circs now. :sigh :shrug

:poke Not cool enough? Oh please.....

It's confusing the first time, but it's one of those things where once you've got it, it makes sense. Basically you put half the stitches onto each needle. Then, when you go to knit, you just have to make sure to knit the stitches *back onto the same needle they're on*, while the other one just dangles in space. Then you turn your work around, pick up the other needle, and knit its stitches back onto itself.

In case that helps. ;)

allisonintx
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Yea this isn't about cool. Eowyn is about the coolest knitter I know and she can't do it, yet.

"yet" is the operative word in that sentence.

Thankfulforgrace
02-06-2012, 03:14 PM
:poke Not cool enough? Oh please.....

It's confusing the first time, but it's one of those things where once you've got it, it makes sense. Basically you put half the stitches onto each needle. Then, when you go to knit, you just have to make sure to knit the stitches *back onto the same needle they're on*, while the other one just dangles in space. Then you turn your work around, pick up the other needle, and knit its stitches back onto itself.

In case that helps. ;)

I'm such a visual/experiencial learner that it just flies over my head :blush. But I'm sure one day I'll meet someone who does this and make them show me :giggle. Of course by then I will have accumulated a ton of needles :shifty :giggle

I am going to make myself learn magic loop here one day though... :wink

Two Little Birds
02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm getting the addi lace interchangables and they do have a 16" cable. But I also know they are a major investment. :yes

allisonintx
02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
ooh, *the* interchangables. :mrgreen

Two Little Birds
02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
ooh, *the* interchangables. :mrgreen

It's my birthday present from mil. :mrgreen

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

And I rarely use mr green and didn't even register you'd used it also. :giggle

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I'm such a visual/experiencial learner that it just flies over my head :blush. But I'm sure one day I'll meet someone who does this and make them show me :giggle. Of course by then I will have accumulated a ton of needles :shifty :giggle

I am going to make myself learn magic loop here one day though... :wink

I need to figure out a time to come down and I'll show you. Mike is gone a lot in March so that may be an option.

Thankfulforgrace
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
It's my birthday present from mil. :mrgreen

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

And I rarely use mr green and didn't even register you'd used it also. :giggle

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

I need to figure out a time to come down and I'll show you. Mike is gone a lot in March so that may be an option.

That would be awesome :heart

It's odd to me how everyone who knits lives in your direction and I'm in some kind of crochet hole :giggle