PDA

View Full Version : Golden Health Muffins

amber.pt
02-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Whenever Grandma talked about bran, it was usually in the form of bran flakes, and that was it. I can honestly say I never enjoyed her “Golden Health Muffins.” I took the liberty of tweaking the ingredients to make them even more healthy. I don’t think she would mind.
Golden Health Muffins

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (recipe uses oil)
1 egg
1 TBSP molasses
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1.5 cups milk
2 cups bran flakes
1 TBSP wheat germ with honey and sugar if desired (I couldn’t find any of this, so I omitted)
1/2 cup of raisins (I used a heaping measure)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Beat together sugar, applesauce, egg, and molasses. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt (I hate using a sifter and just stirred them all together). Add dry mix, alternating 1/2 cup of milk (three times) into wet mix, scraping the sides and bottom of bowl until all is blended well. Add bran cereal, mixing at low speed just until all blended. Remove mixers, fold in wheat germ, raisins, and walnuts. Spoon into greased tins. Fill 2/3 full. Bake at 400* for 25-30 minutes** Yield: 12 muffins***
**I only had to bake mine for 10-12 minutes
***I was able to get 18 muffins, easily
These muffins are great warm or room temperature. They are a very hearty and almost meaty muffin. My son even liked them. I hope you enjoy them too!

Blue Savannah
02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
:ty5