PDA

View Full Version : Chicken noodle soup with Dumplings

charla
02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I made this tonight and it was exceptionally yummy and definitely hit the spot.

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac229/charlams/IMG_0467.jpg

:yum

mommychem
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
That is just wrong! I mean, including the picture, how dare you! :shifty :giggle It looks soooooooo incredibly delicious! :yes I never thought to do noodles WITH dumplings... I'm salivating and I'm as full as a tick from dinner. :giggle Too bad Oklahoma is so far away. :doh

charla
02-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I love to cook and make up recipes. I'd be more than happy to cook for you anytime. :hug

I did noodles AND dumplings because I have one child that likes noodles and one that likes dumplings so I figured why not? :shrug3 :giggle

mommychem
02-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I love to cook and make up recipes. I'd be more than happy to cook for you anytime. :hug

I did noodles AND dumplings because I have one child that likes noodles and one that likes dumplings so I figured why not? :shrug3 :giggle

Thank you! :heart

I have a husband who might just pass out if I put noodles and dumplngs. Chicken and dumplings is one of his favorites - noodles would be icing on the cake! ;) :giggle

Psyche
02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Are you willing to share the recipe?

charla
02-04-2012, 02:08 PM
I will do my best since I actually made it up as I went. :shifty

Charla's Version of Chicken Noodle Soup with Dumplings

Soup
Cooking spray
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Olive oil to coat bottom of soup pan
1 onion, diced
1 large clove of garlic, minced
3-4 ribs celery, diced
2 large carrots, sliced
2 quarts chicken broth
2 cups water
2 chicken bouillion cubes
Juice of 1 lemon
2 bay leaves
Salt to taste (I like quite a bit :shifty)
1 small package thin short noodles (I wish I could remember the brand :think) Maybe about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of those little tiny noodles

Dumplings (I halved a recipe, thus the crazy measurements)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
Scant 1/2 tsp salt (3/8 tsp)
1 TBSP melted butter
Scant 1/2 cup milk (3/8 cup)

Garnishing soup
Freshly cracked pepper
Shredded Parmesan cheese
I thought later that I wished I had a sprinkling of parsley

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and roast in oven until cooked through. When chicken is cooked through, remove from oven and cut into small chunks.

Meanwhile, place olive oil in soup pan on medium heat. Add veggies and saute until softened. Add broth, water, bouillion, lemon juice, salt, bay leaves and diced chicken and bring to a boil. Drop in noodles and boil until noodles are almost done, whatever the package says.

While soup is boiling quickly make dumplings. Stir dry ingredients together and mix well. Add wet ingredients and stir until combined. Shape into shooter marble size.

Turn soup down to a bubbling simmer, drop dumplings into soup, cover pot and simmer for 15 minutes without peaking.

Ladle soup in bowl and garnish with cracked black pepper, parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired. Enjoy!! :yum

I hope I remembered it all. If it doesn't make sense or I've forgotten a direction, please let me know.

Macky
02-04-2012, 02:17 PM
... Shape into shooter marble size.

You're going to have to re-write that bit for the next generation. :giggle I know what you're talking about, but I never hear of kids playing marbles anymore. Would they even know what a shooter marble is?

charla
02-04-2012, 02:45 PM
You're going to have to re-write that bit for the next generation. :giggle I know what you're talking about, but I never hear of kids playing marbles anymore. Would they even know what a shooter marble is?

Oh my stars, am I showing my age? :shifty Umm, I have no idea. How about around an inch in diameter?