PDA

View Full Version : Are knitting classes all utterly boring?

Emerald Orchid
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I went to my first class tonight and it was atrociously boring. The teacher (albeit a very kind little old lady) did not teach anything, she just helped everyone along where they were working. There were 9 students and NO ONE talked for the whole 2+ hours we were there. :hunh I managed to make a little conversation with the lady next to me, but that was it. Complete silence. I thought knitting came with conversation? :scratch At least, that's why I joined the class, for social interaction... I'm calling to ask for a refund tomorrow, hopefully I can get it.

ArmsOfLove
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Being able to chat while knitting was one of my goals. For some time it required intense concentration on my part--and most of what I said wouldn't pass the censor :bag

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

also wanted to add . . . a knintting "class" is VERY different from a knitting "group" made up of people who already know how to knit and are wanting to get together for socializing and sharing projects. If you don't know how to knit, then the knitting class can be a good step towards being able to have fun in a knitting group :hug

Emerald Orchid
01-31-2012, 05:45 AM
Being able to chat while knitting was one of my goals. For some time it required intense concentration on my part--and most of what I said wouldn't pass the censor :bag

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

also wanted to add . . . a knintting "class" is VERY different from a knitting "group" made up of people who already know how to knit and are wanting to get together for socializing and sharing projects. If you don't know how to knit, then the knitting class can be a good step towards being able to have fun in a knitting group :hug

I realize that a group was what I was looking for. There are none that I know of in my town, I'll have to create my own I think!

I'm heading to the registration office this morning, hoping to get my 84$ check back before they cash it. :nails

Wonder Woman
01-31-2012, 05:51 AM
wow, that's a pricey pricey knitting class! Most places I know of offer it for free, or else a nominal fee ($10 for a class, or something.)

ellies mom
01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
I realize that a group was what I was looking for. There are none that I know of in my town, I'll have to create my own I think!

You could probably find a local group pretty easily through Ravelry.

Emerald Orchid
01-31-2012, 11:14 AM
I was able to cancel my registration! :phew

wow, that's a pricey pricey knitting class! Most places I know of offer it for free, or else a nominal fee ($10 for a class, or something.)

It was 84$ for 10 "classes", if you could call them that.

You could probably find a local group pretty easily through Ravelry.

I just looked and there is none in my town. I'll call a knitting store and ask if they know of any.

Wonder Woman
01-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Come to NB - I have one here :giggle

Kiara.I
01-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Many (most?) yarn stores have knit nights. If you look up the ravelry groups for the yarn stores in your area you might find something.

Emerald Orchid
01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I called the yarn store and they are going to start a group on Saturday afternoons, but those don't work for me because DH works. :-/

The whole point to to get more social interaction, so I might have to find some other avenue. :think

April G
01-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Our town has a community bulletin board on FB and that's where I joined a new crafting group that was just starting up. Some of us knit, some crochet, others just gab. :giggle It's awesome and I have 8 new besties now. :heart

Punkie
01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Sometimes you can find groups on yahoogroups or meetup as well. I found my first knitting group through the snb website (http://stitchn.org/Find-a-Group/index.html).

Another option is to look for attachment parenting or homeschool groups. Almost all of my AP/homeschool groups have knitters at them and do craft/knit nights. :)

UltraMother
01-31-2012, 03:38 PM
You can also simply start knitting in public, and see what happens. :D

Punkie
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
:yes I find a lot of knitters by taking my projects with me and knitting in public.