PDA

View Full Version : Help with tea!

Weezie
01-21-2012, 06:40 PM
I've recently discovered coffee makes my stomach ill :sick2

I like hot cocoa but it's too "thick" of a drink for me everyday if that makes sense.

I would like to drink tea. I've never LIKED tea. Help me wih some suggestions of teas. Here are some likes and dislikes.:shifty

Afa coffee, I HATE :shifty it anyway, but with skim milk and sugar it's palatable.:-/ I liked tolerated very mild, light coffee- mostly Green Mountain Breakfast Blend for my Keurig.

I don't like honey. I think it's a texture thing. :yuck

I doubt highly I would like chocolate tea of any kind. :no :shifty I have to be in the mood for chocolate, and I'm not currently.:-/

So help with kinds you have had. And no fancy nancy kinds. :giggle I want a good kind I can buy at the local grocery store to try.:yes

Peppermint- I like candy canes, but hate mint gum. :giggle

I like orange things.:)

Oh, and one more thing- I have a very sensitive nose, so if it even smells obnoxious strong to me, I probably will not like it before I even try it.:shifty

So who is brave enough to help a lost cause like me?:kiss

Domina
01-21-2012, 06:55 PM
I suggest you try...

Twinings Lady Grey (has a light lemon flavor, needs no sweetening)

Bigelow Earl Grey (good straight, or with a little milk and/or sugar)

Bigelow Constant Comment (orange and spices)

Republic of Tea's Get Happy tea (herbal, with lemon and orange)

Tazo Chai (brew, then add milk as directed) - this is quite similar to a heavily lightened, sweetened coffee

LilacPhoenix
01-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Are you wanting hot or iced?

Weezie
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Are you wanting hot or iced?

I truly don't know. Both? Neither?:shifty

cbmk4
01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I love both coffee and tea. My current favorite is jasmine green tea. I do use honey in my tea, but once it quickly melts, I don't detect any texture differences.

Vanilla rooibos tea is another good one.

Kiara.I
01-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Celestial Seasonings' Bengal Spice Tea. :yum

And for something totally different and quite tart and refreshing, Numi brand Dry Desert Lime.

BarefootBetsy
01-21-2012, 07:43 PM
I love Bigelow's Earl Grey :yes

Red teas are very nice too, like red rooibos. They are not at all the same as red raspberry leaf - totally different! So if you don't like RRL, you should still try some red tea. It's not caffeinated though, so if you're looking for caffeine, it won't help you there.

I like any tea with Lavender in it. I once tried some Earl Grey with lavender and it was amazing :heart

Green teas are nice and mild - just don't let them brew too long or they can sometimes get bitter. That really goes for black teas also... the boxes should say how long to leave the tea bags in.

If I were you, I'd probably start with a sampler pack from Bigelow. The one with Earl Grey and Constant Comment (black tea with citrus-y flavoring). I don't remember which other types are in that box, but I know that I like all of them! Sampler packs are great, Bigelow tends to have mild tea, and it's easy to find (and not very pricey).

LilacPhoenix
01-21-2012, 08:07 PM
I like Bigelow teas too:yes Sampler boxes are great because you can try different flavors without wasting money on a whole box of something you end up not liking.

Macky
01-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Established tea hater here... who suddenly flipped a switch and started drinking the stuff like mad out of the blue about a year or so ago.

Loved coffee until it started making me sick. Found out that organic coffees don't send me to the bathroom seventeen times; I feel fine drinking organic. :tu

If you're a coffee drinker who doesn't like tea but wants to, start out with black teas. Green, red, herbal, etc. teas taste like water to a coffee drinker no matter how long you steep them (this coffee lover anyway).

Orange Pekoe is basic black tea; no, there is no orange flavouring. It's just plain tea... and it's great for a coffee drinker. Let it steep 10 to 15 minutes without disturbing the tea bag. Don't stir it. Don't squish it. Don't drag it up the side of the mug when you're fishing it out with a spoon. It'll be really nice and dark and you can doctor it up with a little sugar and milk.

Earl Grey is my fav with Scottish and Irish breakfast in a tie for third. I still hate non-black teas. They're just barely flavoured water to me. :shifty

Good luck!

Ellen
01-21-2012, 08:38 PM
For a rich flavor, try some chai tea! Good straight or with honey and milk.