PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best/cheapest place to buy sprouting seeds?

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
01-14-2012, 09:31 AM
I want to start sprouting in my kitchen and am wondering where I should buy my seeds? Is there a way to get them cheap yet still organic? Is it relatively inexpensive to do this? I've been watching youtube videos and it seems manageable, I think i can make my own trays pretty easy, which I would prefer to using jars as I want them to get tall...

Macky
01-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Are you talking about sprouting seeds to eat as sprouts or sprouting seeds to grow transplants for the garden?

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
to eat as sprouts. :)

Macky
01-14-2012, 10:17 PM
If there's an organic food market you already shop at, check around for plain old seeds and grains there. You know they won't be treated with anything harmful because they're being sold as a food product. As long as they're whole (not chopped up or rolled), they'll sprout. :) The moment such things are labeled "seed" the price goes up, likely because they've had germination and other testing done (they test for ecoli, etc.).

Alfalfa, buckwheat and mung beans shouldn't be too hard to find at a healthy grocery store. Mustard likely, too.

I'm not in the US, so I'll let others post actual seed companies for you. :)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
If there's an organic food market you already shop at, check around for plain old seeds and grains there. You know they won't be treated with anything harmful because they're being sold as a food product. As long as they're whole (not chopped up or rolled), they'll sprout. :) The moment such things are labeled "seed" the price goes up, likely because they've had germination and other testing done (they test for ecoli, etc.).

Alfalfa, buckwheat and mung beans shouldn't be too hard to find at a healthy grocery store. Mustard likely, too.

I'm not in the US, so I'll let others post actual seed companies for you. :)

ill try that, thank you!