PDA

View Full Version : Another DE question

Tandem mama
12-30-2011, 05:48 PM
My dog lives at the IL's for various reasons. She's outside about half of the time (her preference). She is almost 3 years old and is showing signs of what is either hip dysplasia or arthritis in her back hips. She's not gotten any heart worm prevention in a while, due to financial restrictions all around :bag. I'd like to get her on DE to help her joints and to deal with parasite prevention (maybe she has some anyway). She's also a very nervous dog. She's a lab, redbone coonhound, some type of terrier, I don't know what else mix. A mutt.

So my questions are-

1. If I have mil and fil put her on DE would they need to do it. I doubt we could get fil or bil on it.
2. Would it help her if the issue is hip dysplasia?
3. Might it help her nervousness some?

cobluegirl
12-30-2011, 07:25 PM
I am not positive but my gut response is not the people wouldn't need to do it (themselves..I am assume you mean) and that yes it might help with the hd and nerves!

Soliloquy
12-30-2011, 07:41 PM
I do think it is likely to help. I don't understand question #1 but they can sprinkle it on his food. If they start with a small amount he probably won't care.

Tandem mama
12-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Sorry I was trying to listen to dh talk and type ate same time :bag I meant would they also have to take DE themselves.

homesteadmama
12-31-2011, 01:04 AM
No. Uless they want to get rid of the parasites they surely have (being around a dog with parasites almost guarantees they have them). But for the dog's sake, unless they're mouth kissing the dog or something :yuck, I don't see how they'd pass parasites back to the dog.

Tandem mama
12-31-2011, 05:27 AM
No. Uless they want to get rid of the parasites they surely have (being around a dog with parasites almost guarantees they have them). But for the dog's sake, unless they're mouth kissing the dog or something :yuck, I don't see how they'd pass parasites back to the dog.

I assume she has them since we haven't treated her for them or given her a preventative in a year. Or more. And she eats crazy stuff out in the woods when fil takes her out there.

Soliloquy
12-31-2011, 10:58 AM
No, they don't have to take de but they probably should :P~

When someone in a family has a parasite, it's important to treat the whole family and the pets because eggs fall out and get ingested easily. But if they don't care or won't take it, I'd still give it to the dog.

You can get parasites by gardening, eating outside, petting animals, etc. we're all constantly exposed

Tandem mama
12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
No, they don't have to take de but they probably should :P~

When someone in a family has a parasite, it's important to treat the whole family and the pets because eggs fall out and get ingested easily. But if they don't care or won't take it, I'd still give it to the dog.

You can get parasites by gardening, eating outside, petting animals, etc. we're all constantly exposed

Dh, the girls, and I are starting DE tomorrow. I'm trying to convince the IL's to, but idk if bil or fil will. Mil probably will.

Amber
12-31-2011, 11:27 AM
You mentioned heartworms in your OP. If I understand DE correctly it won't do anything for the heartworms. They don't spend any of their life cycle in the intestinal tract.

Soliloquy
12-31-2011, 11:32 AM
You mentioned heartworms in your OP. If I understand DE correctly it won't do anything for the heartworms. They don't spend any of their life cycle in the intestinal tract.

I believe that is correct. http://www.plymouthmosquito.com/dog_heartworm.htm

I think de is likely to help with the hip pain and also any other parasites likely to be there.

SouthPaw
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
If you can't afford a complete preventative, you can buy liquid ivermectin from the feed store extremely cheaply. You just need to make sure you store and dose it precisely.

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf_id=26601&0=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D9000%26Tree%3D%2CComplete%2 0Catalog&1=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D50000%26Tree%3D%2CLivestock&2=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D52400%26Tree%3D%2CWormers&3=dept.asp%2Cdept_id%3D52401%26Tree%3D%2CIn&refcode=Froogle&CAWELAID=983684275

dilute one part Ivomec to 9 parts propylene glycol then give 1/10 cc per 10 lbs. of dog weight. give orally. 50cc = $38. it will last 2 years before it expires and it is 100 doses for a 50 pound dog so much more than you need.

i'm not a vet and if anyone wants to use this they should research it first.