PDA

View Full Version : arg what did I do wrong???

Leslie_JJKs_mom
12-20-2011, 12:43 PM
I made peanut butter balls. I got hersheys kisses to dip the balls in but it melted kinda granular instead of smooth. Why didn't it melt smooth??

MomtoJGJ
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
I've never used hershey's kisses, so just guessing that water got in and it seized up?

Marrae
12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
How did you melt it? I've gone back to the old way of a bowl over a pan of water as in the microwave it is really easy to scorch the chocolate and it goes ...... not smooth.

I can't speak for the kisses as you don't get them here much.

momaich
12-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Checklist:
Did water/steam get in it?
Did you use a double boiler?
Did you add a little shortening? If using regular chocolate rather than the meltable disks that you buy specially for dipping, adding a bit of shortening smoothes the chocolate.
That's all I can think of...unless...you know....you didn't hold your mouth right. :hug

Leslie_JJKs_mom
12-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I unwrapped the kisses and put them in a bowl and set the microwave for 3 min. I went to stir and it was not smooth at all even though it was hot. It was hot enough to burn my fingers yet it was almost granular.

Kiara.I
12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Too hot maybe?

Or (and I have nothing to back this up, exactly....) but could it be that Hershey's Kisses don't actually have enough real chocolate in them to be useful for melting? :shifty

(I REALLY dislike all Hershey's chocolate, so I'm not exactly unbiased here....:giggle)

Rea T
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
I"m pretty sure 3 minutes in the microwave and hot enough to burn your fingers means you got the chocolate too hot. I did that last week. If you have to still use it you can add some butter and/or cream to it. You won't end up with a super nice finish but it will be usable.

Zooey
12-20-2011, 02:07 PM
The kisses don't melt very well for me. I *think* they may have a different composition enough that they seize worse than melting chocolate. (Or chips, which I have had some luck with--though not Hershey's).
I don't use the microwave anymore. I am also back to the old way in a double boiler (real or made for the occasion).

Leslie_JJKs_mom
12-20-2011, 02:24 PM
hmmmm I can see why they call for almond bark now. I would have used it but the store was out of it. Oh well the peanut butter part is still yummy.

PrincessAnika
12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
last time i melted chocolate i did hershey's chips in the microwave and only a minute at a time at first, stirring after every minute, then as it started to melt i switched to only 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each....turned out fine! so maybe not so long and stir more often? my mom has used kisses before with no issues....

MomtoJGJ
12-20-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't use a microwave, so I really don't know... but all the recipes I see that call for melting chocolate in the microwave say 30 seconds at a time.