PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with a 4yo "lying"

homesteadmama
12-18-2011, 10:32 PM
OK, I've read the 4yo book, and I know that a lot of it is *wanting* it to be so, or imagining it to be so, but let me tell you this scenario, because I just need help processing it.

This morning DD (almost 5yo) pulled DS2 (11mo) up onto our hugely-high-king-size-bed. I've told her before not to do this (only once, and I could see how she might have forgotten, so I'm not holding it against her). She was the only one in the room with him, and he fell off. Got pretty hurt...cried for a good long time. (He's fine, but was not feeling good when it happened!). I was in the shower, and dh was making breakfast, and he ran in to rescue hurt DS. He asked her what happened, and she said "he fell off the bed". He asked her how he got up on the bed (it is impossible for him to climb up on it), and she said, "I don't remember." I heard this, and having heard this quite a few times lately, said, "S, you remember....how did he get up there?" She got really upset and started screaming and kicking, and had a fit. Looking back, I shouldn't have said that from the shower. I maybe shouldn't even had said it at all (?). It turned into her not feeling safe, and going into fight or flight because we didn't believe her (but rightly so). She was protecting herself. Dh and I both could see what was unfolding, and we both dropped it. He comforted her, and we decided to come back to it later.

We were debriefing it tonight, and we realized that she 1) knew that what she did caused him to get hurt, and she felt bad, and 2) didn't want to disappoint us by admitting that to us. We also have been talking about what "lying" is a lot (she's been asking us lots of questions about it mostly, and we've been using the teachable moments). So I think she's also 3) not wanting to lie. So the only solution is to say, "I don't know". It saves face, doesn't disappoint us, but also she isn't lying, which I know she knows is wrong, and doesn't want to do. So I get it. I get where she is.

Dh thinks we should just let it lie (no pun intended, :lol). But part of me wonders if we're allowing her to lie by allowing her to say she doesn't know. He thinks we should establish the safety, because that is what will allow her to feel free to tell the truth. I agree with this, that I want my kids to feel safe with me...he remembers telling his mom after he threw a party, smoked cigarettes, and drank beer in HS. He says the only reason he told her he'd done it was because he knew he was safe with her. And he was right. Her reaction was one of safety. I want my kids to feel that safe with me too! But I don't think I've yet accomplished that with dd. I was raised in a very punitive family, and I'm really struggling to change my mindset....man, it's HARD!

Maybe I just needed to process this....I'm thinking that since she *knows* not to pull ds up on the bed (and obviously she feels bad about it), she won't likely do it again. But I feel like I'm not teaching her not to lie if I let her say "I don't know" and don't call her on it. But somewhere I think maybe my punitive mindset is influencing that feeling.

Thoughts? What should my response be next time she says "I don't know" to something she obviously does know, but is afraid of the consequences?

sothisislove
12-18-2011, 11:08 PM
...Something I'm also thinking thru.

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Maybe "try that answer again". My almost 5 ds knows that we know when hw is lying. Which leads mee to question why im asking him what happened....when i usually already know. Would it be better to state what i know or assumed happened? Why make him verbalize the situation?

homesteadmama
12-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe "try that answer again". My almost 5 ds knows that we know when hw is lying. Which leads mee to question why im asking him what happened....when i usually already know. Would it be better to state what i know or assumed happened? Why make him verbalize the situation?

Good suggestion. I'm afraid of making her feel trapped by stating what I know or assumed already happened. Like if I say it too strongly, she'll feel ashamed and definitely fight or flight. In this situation, I'd say, "S, I know you pulled him on the bed. He is not allowed on the bed without mommy or daddy in the room." Then I have a feeling she'd say, "I didn't pull him on the bed." So what do I do then? If it's a blatant lie to protect herself? (this has happened recently too)

joysworld
12-19-2011, 12:00 AM
I agree with your dh, but I also think if you know how something happened, then there's no need to put her in the position where she feels like she needs to 'lie'. So instead of asking her how the baby got up there, just remind her to not put the baby on the bed.

homesteadmama
12-19-2011, 12:07 AM
I agree with your dh, but I also think if you know how something happened, then there's no need to put her in the position where she feels like she needs to 'lie'. So instead of asking her how the baby got up there, just remind her to not put the baby on the bed.

ok, I get it now. A gentle, loving, "hey sweetie...just fyi....baby isn't allowed on the bed without mommy or daddy in the room."

ya?

joysworld
12-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Exactly:)

RainbowMummy
12-19-2011, 12:58 AM
ok, I get it now. A gentle, loving, "hey sweetie...just fyi....baby isn't allowed on the bed without mommy or daddy in the room."

ya?

Lying was happening a bit too often for my liking with my now 5 year old. We'd do the above but also as we hugged her & were walking off together we'd throw in something like 'just remember that God can see you too sweetie. Mummy & Daddy can't see everything but God knows what happens & He gave you Mummy & Daddy if you ever need help with anything'. Sometimes we'd just mention it later too rather than at the time. We could tell it helped & didn't put too much pressure on her by what she verbalised through pretend play.

hotnostril
12-20-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't think you should ever ask a question if you already know the answer. You know what she did, just tell her you know what happened, you know she remembers, you know she feels bad about it and that her guilty feelings made her feel bad enough to lie, but lying is unacceptable.