PDA

View Full Version : How do you GOYB if you can't

Housekat
12-18-2011, 09:00 AM
physically get off your butt? I broke my ankle in numerous places 3 weeks ago, and will be non weight bearing (ie on crutches) for at least another 5 weeks, then partially weight bearing (with crutches, again).

My mum is here at the moment and she's very very good with GOYB parenting - instinctively. She leaves on the 28th of December. I'll be basically on my own from then on unless hubby is home (which he is quite a bit as he suspended his studies for a couple of months for me to get better - so he works 3 days a week plus occasional shifts at weekends.

Tips? Tricks? Advice? Sympathy? :shifty

Waterlogged
12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
-toddler proof your house. Extra. Even if it means putting half your stuff in storage.
-put out a nibble tray first thing in the morning, use that for food
-do you have a wheely office chair? when i had ankle surgery, I found the office chair super helpful in getting around my house and classroom (I went back to my teaching job 4 weeks after surgery, and was on crutches for the first 8? weeks of the school year)

I'm so sorry. That bites.

Housekat
12-18-2011, 09:26 AM
The wheely office chair is a FAB idea!!! THanks!! And I'll make sure DH (finally! maybe something good will come of it :shifty) puts the locks on the kitchen cabinets that have been languishing in a drawer for a year :D

Nibble tray prob won't work as Theo generally throws food if there is more than 2-3 pieces at once - but if I have the office chair, it's easier to make some stuff up.

Combined with ever increasing SPD, I'm quite immobile :yes2

Waterlogged
12-18-2011, 09:31 AM
how much have you talked to Theo about your foot? he might understand more than you think...like that mommy is doing her best, but that mommy's foot has a big ouchie, and so we're going to watch a lot of tv. :shifty

you will also be feeling a bit better in 10 days. the nice thing about a cast is that it really does protect your foot.

do you have friends who could come over for a playdate?

Housekat
12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm hoping (and counting on) that I'll be better in 10 days time. At the moment, the biggest challenge is getting my muscles back to work after about 2 weeks of total bedrest :sick

He knows that mama has an owie on her foot - he climbs all over me but is quite careful around the cast. So that's a good thing. And yeah, TV will be the modus operandi in this house for a while :)

I'm very blessed to have a fantastic next door neighbour who is home during the day (WAH mom) who's a good friend. She's available to help and sometimes take Theo if I need a break. I also have a great church family who are (I believe) putting a rota together for people to come and sit with me for some part of the day. So that'll make it easier.

I'm a very independent person by nature, though, and would like to be able to work out ways of coping by myself if I have to, as well. J will be out of the house full days Mondays and Tuesdays and then a half day on Friday, as well as whatever he can get in extra shifts in the evenings and weekends as this accident has cost us a lot of money in terms of missed work for him and extra expense for us...

GraemesMomma
12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
:hugs What a challenge this would be! Hope you're on the mend quickly. Love the rolling chair idea.

As a military Mom who is also independent by nature, let me gently tell you: this is not the time to be independent. :heart It is SO great that you have not only a church family wanting to help you, but a neighbor you feel good with leaving your child with...I'm slightly jealous lol! ;) Let them receive the pleasure of being friends to you and helping you out. Be specific when they ask "What can I do?" Could they vacuum? Or help you fold laundry? :) Hope 10 days passes by fast!

Housekat
12-18-2011, 07:21 PM
:bump :shifty

Peridot
12-18-2011, 07:55 PM
:heart How's it going?

Marrae
12-19-2011, 02:46 AM
I'd love to come and help you....but I'm too far away. :hug2 How is it going?

Annainprogress
12-19-2011, 03:19 AM
:hug2

Housekat
12-19-2011, 03:58 AM
My parents are still here - will be until next week Wednesday. J is off Thursday so Friday will be the first day alone :nails

(though there's a possibility of a GCM visiting on Friday, that would break it up nicely :mrgreen )

The main problem atm is New Year's weekend...they are chronically short of doctors in the ER that night and we could really do with the money. But the thought of putting Theo to bed on my own and being alone with him all night makes me a little nervous (understatement of the year). Especially as my lovely lovely neighbour will more than likely be out partying :) so there's not even anyone 'near' in case of emergency (ie Theo not cooperating).

IDK - OTOH, nights are probably less difficult than days would be.... :think

Annainprogress
12-19-2011, 04:39 AM
:hug have you asked neighbour her plans? she could be having a party at home :shrug3

also wondering if dh may have the option to agree with them to take one longer break and actually pop home at bedtime? depending on their staff numbers and usual rules and what time bedtime is in relation to shift times. NYE tends to be quiet in A&E until 11pm plus when the drunken fights start and real issues replace the mostly-just-lonely people.... :shifty