PDA

View Full Version : ok..feels silly putting this here..but..

SweetCaroline
12-16-2011, 07:27 AM
i know he's only 12 months..so theres not much i can do at all- mainly just looking for any way to deter
this mad hair pulling!!

baby walks over to victim ( as they quietly sit and watch tv- all unsuspecting), puts his hands in their hair, and pulls with all his might

the more the other child screams- the more baby screams- and his grip get tighter- i have to pry his hands out of the childs hair

its pretty intense for all involved

im trying to show him gentle hands, and rubbing sissy's ( or brother's )head and saying "no pull, ouch!'
but he's totally freaked out by then- :shrug
and lets face it- he's 12 months old

does anybody have a magic trick for this?

Apple-Saucy
12-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Pony tail or bun for the victim and teaching the victim to be aware...and to get babes hands off her hair/stand up etc.

TenderLovingWillow
12-16-2011, 07:30 AM
That's so hard! Mine have never pulled hair. If the girl involved is a sister is braiding her hair an option? That way it not as easy to get tangled, and doesn't hurt as much before being rescued. :hugheart

SweetCaroline
12-16-2011, 07:39 AM
no..its EVERYBODY with hair!!

shower caps for everyone? :giggle

sothisislove
12-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe see if u cant come up with something less painful for her to be obsessed with doing...perhaps tickles or butterfly kisses. Hopefully this will pass soon.

Chaos Coordinator
12-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Wear baby more?

When my oldest was that age I felt like he was constantly on a warpath to see what sorts of reactions he could set off. It was a sensory seeking thing for him, and very overwhelming for me. My only solution was to be on him like a hawk at all times, or have him strapped in/on either carseat, shopping cart, stroller, child harness, or somehow on me (sling or beco)

I feel anxious just recalling that stage. It was really bad here.

SweetCaroline
12-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Wear baby more?

When my oldest was that age I felt like he was constantly on a warpath to see what sorts of reactions he could set off. It was a sensory seeking thing for him, and very overwhelming for me. My only solution was to be on him like a hawk at all times, or have him strapped in/on either carseat, shopping cart, stroller, child harness, or somehow on me (sling or beco)

I feel anxious just recalling that stage. It was really bad here.
hmm. i have a hard time putting him in the ergo on my back bc of MY hair :sigh

Domina
12-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Shave everyone's head? :giggle

Honestly, I have no idea. Thoughts about why he's doing it? Maybe get him a doll with pretty hair that he can stroke? Sensory bins full of beans or something that he can plunge his hands into?

SweetCaroline
12-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Shave everyone's head? :giggle

Honestly, I have no idea. Thoughts about why he's doing it? Maybe get him a doll with pretty hair that he can stroke? Sensory bins full of beans or something that he can plunge his hands into?

i think its just a 12 month thing..seems like all the other kids have done it. but since he's the 5th..i have 4 other kids with hair who react :think

maybe it just seems worse now. :shrug3 now when i see him tottling over to one of my other children from behind i kind of holler: watch yer hair!! :giggle

i say if we dont make a big deal about it he'll loose interest. but in the meantime..ouch! its kind of hard for them to "not make a deal"

GraemesMomma
12-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Wow! My 11 mo old pulls hair, but not like that. Wish I had good ideas, my only one would be pro activeness which is impossible sometimes lol! Ouch!

Chaos Coordinator
12-19-2011, 06:25 AM
My six month old loves to pull mine in the beco.

Fortunately for him I rather like it :shifty

Could you wear a hat while you wear him?

MomtoJGJ
12-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Evie pulled hair a lot too. We taught the kids to stand up if they saw her coming. We also taught them to grab her hands with theirs and push down on their head, not enough to hurt her, but it makes it stop hurting them until we can get to them and help.

And man, when she was tired it was SO BAD. I'd put her on my back for a nap and walk around facing the ceiling!

Tandem mama
12-19-2011, 07:04 AM
My little one did this. I never found anything to do. She outgrew it

greengirl19
12-19-2011, 07:40 AM
maybe teach him to tickle?? It would still get a reaction (heck, I'd even play it up) but it wouldn't hurt.

marbles
12-19-2011, 07:16 PM
have you tried showing him how to stroke someone's hair when he hasn't had the idea of pulling it? like teaching how to pet an animal? then the person being stroked can respond positively (however would make him happy). Lucca has never responded to being told the correct way to do something after she's done it incorrectly, but if I show her in a neutral time she can process it.