PDA

View Full Version : crypticorchid (one dropped teste)

pastelsummer
12-14-2011, 12:13 AM
I have a dog who had only one testicle descend he is roughly 9-12 months old. I called an old vet i used to use because he is the cheapest in the valley he said that to do the nuetering it would mean a invasive complicated surgery and cost my HUNDREDS of dollars so i decided against it since i had been told that there was no way to keep him calm in the car and before the surgery, he was severely abused we believe before we got him, he is terrified of cars strangers and he refuses to go into any house. poor baby. took us a long time to get his to where he is now and doesnt cower and pee all over himself in fear and run away and hide when you go to pet him.:( And we have had him since march of this year he was roughly 6-12 weeks old when we got him. So was the old vet wrong? is it possible to get him into a vet with out a lot of trauma and is the surgery complicated and dangerous or not?

PrincessAnika
12-14-2011, 05:29 AM
idk anything about the surgery but rescue remedy might help with the anxiety/fear at least a bit....you could prly call a couple other vets and ask for a price quote and then go from there. :hug

Apple-Saucy
12-14-2011, 06:48 AM
There is a risk that the undecended teste will turn cancerous. SO it's generally in the best interests of the dog to have it removed ASAP.

kiloyd
12-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Yes, Rescue Remedy!

It is not a complicated surgery. Yes, it's a bit more invasive, but I don't think it's a good thing if he's never neutered.

If he's terrified of cars and strangers, how did you get him in for his rabies vaccine? (and other vaccines and heartworm test, if you do them )

pastelsummer
12-14-2011, 07:28 AM
we do all the regular vaccines at home and i dont due rabies untill 12 months and he just isnt quite there yet. I am doing it the begining of next month if i can figure out how to get him in there OR if i can get my vet to let me do it myself. Not normal I know but since he is also a big animal vet sometimes he can let us do that stuff since we farm also. we also do the deworming here we do a maintanance parasite/deworming on everything every 6 months.

Apple-Saucy
12-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Put him in a crate, then put him in the car. :shrug3 They have good drugs and happy gas at the vet should he need it for the exam.;)

pastelsummer
12-14-2011, 08:20 AM
wont that traumatize him? :( Thats my worry with just putting him in a crate he flat out refuses to go near the car. I mean i could yes it is feasible and doable but he was already traumatized when he was real young i dont want him to have have it again

Apple-Saucy
12-14-2011, 09:12 AM
wont that traumatize him? :( Thats my worry with just putting him in a crate he flat out refuses to go near the car. I mean i could yes it is feasible and doable but he was already traumatized when he was real young i dont want him to have have it again

Do you have proof that he was horribly abused as a pup? I ask because sometimes adoptive owners assume that their nervous dogs were abused when in reality some dogs are just weirdos who are scared of their own shadow. It's easy to blame his behaviors on outside forces when he could just be one of those weird dogs...who honestly can be some of the most dangerous because their behavior is so unpredictable.

As for not wanting to traumatize him....which is worse a car ride or risking death from a cancer that could have been prevented. :shrug3

Marsha
12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Totally OT, but I kept reading the title thinking of a flower that told riddles. Or that was the answer to a riddle. Or that solved a mystery, like in Nero Wolfe (who grew orchids by the way and solved mysteries). You know: cryptic orchid??

Sorry, I am Totally weird and I just let you in on some of the weird workings of my brain.

Johns_Gal
12-14-2011, 09:25 AM
I would be very unwilling to transport a dog in active freakout. They may very well turn on you, just in terror, and do serious damage, or harm themselves.

I would talk to other vets if this one seems unwilling to work with you as far as making transport easy. Call the feed store and see if theres a mobile vet who handles people's livestock guardian dogs, and see if he will come knock your dog out for the trip.

While it does need out, its not an immediate enough thing that I'd be willing to toss a nervous dog in the car.

If tranquilizing turns out to be a no-go (I've used RR on unhappy cats, but it would never have been enough for my anxiety-prone sheltie. Those wire crates wont even hold a dog if he *really* wants out) I would start "The car is a GOOD place" training asap, and keep at it for several weeks.

What kind of dog is he? If he is a mutt, how big?

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

What do you mean by refuses? It matters. :)

I had a poorly bred sheltie who was further traumatized by early separation from hier mother, shipped to a petstore, and then the atmosphere of my childhood home was awful for her. She was a would-be fear biter, only never touched a human because I was on top of her issues. :( I miss her, wish I'd been able to do better by her.

I had a labrador I found who thought the car was a Big Lab Eating Monster. He was just a goof (he was a lab, what do you expect?) so I shoved him in the car and took him to good places anyway :shifty and he got over it quickly.

kiloyd
12-14-2011, 02:31 PM
What have you been doing to help him come out of his shell?

Since you farm, we he just stay an outside dog? And aside from neuter or injury not have to leave the property?

If he is only a puppy, it's better to neuter him now then in 5 yrs or never.

Yes, it might traumatize him but then he'll be home again and if you can take out the sutures yourself he won't have to go out again