PDA

View Full Version : orangless teas?

pastelsummer
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
my dd is allergic to oranges and so many teas have oranges in them (most of my faves:doh) So what kids can she have? I know earl grey but she doesnt seem to impressed with that one she does like the neglish breakfast blend that has no oranges but other than that i am lost.:shrug3

Domina
12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Lady Grey, Darjeeling, peppermint, chamomile, Chai, green tea, and most herbal teas.

Iarwain
12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
FWIW "orange pekoe" is simply the name for a grade/cut of black tea. It does not contain any oranges. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_pekoe

pastelsummer
12-09-2011, 12:13 PM
ok thats good to know!!!!!!!!!!

Damselfly
12-10-2011, 08:14 PM
One of my daughter's favorite teas is a blend of equal parts chamomile flowers, hibiscus flowers, spearmint leaves and chrysanthemum flowers. We call it flower fairy tea. She also likes a blend I call Sani-tea which is equal parts roses, spearmint, catnip and chamomile. Your daughter might like these too. :)

WingsOfTheMorning
12-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I avoided citrus (and many other things) for a while to see if it would help DD2's skin. I was surprised how many teas had orange too! Many of the herbal blends have it.

Republic of Tea makes a yummy Ginger Peach that doesn't have orange. Chai has always been a favorite of mine, but I would definitely check the box just in case!

pastelsummer
12-10-2011, 11:07 PM
seriously? catnip? human can have it? dude i never knew that

Iarwain
12-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Yep. Catnip tea in humans functions as a relaxation/sleep aid. It's a fairly common ingredient in tea blends intended for that purpose.

Damselfly
12-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Oh yes, people can have it! :yes I love catnip and use it a lot of my tea blends. It's a member of the mint family. Not only do I find it very relaxing, I also include it in blends for tummy troubles and headaches because of its anti-spasmodic properties.

pastelsummer
12-11-2011, 09:03 AM
sweet gonna pick some up this week

Damselfly
12-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I like catnip in blends but I also like it by itself with a little honey and cream. Some people dislike it by itself because of its very slight bitterness and prefer it blended with other herbs. You may want to experiment with it to see what you like.

pastelsummer
12-11-2011, 05:56 PM
i cannot wait to make my own blends

Lady TS
12-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm coming in late to this thread...but I believe that the bergamot in Earl/Lady Gray is citrus in nature.

How about Rooibos/Red tea? Would they go for that if you put a dab of honey in it and maybe some milk?

pastelsummer
12-11-2011, 08:19 PM
i dunno i have never tried it will look into it

Damselfly
12-11-2011, 08:36 PM
How about Rooibos/Red tea? Would they go for that if you put a dab of honey in it and maybe some milk?
Oooh, good idea! I forgot about rooibos because it is such a staple in our house it's like rice or beans. My husband drinks it cold instead of southern sweet tea. :giggle My kids really like it too.

pastelsummer
12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
can it be found at a hfs?

Lady TS
12-12-2011, 05:51 AM
can it be found at a hfs?

I can get it in bulk at my HFS, and Celestial Seasonings has a few different flavored varieties. I like the Madagascar Vanilla (it has a lion on it)...it's one of the few Celestial Seasonings teas w/o soy lecithin.

CapeTownMommy
12-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Oooh, good idea! I forgot about rooibos because it is such a staple in our house it's like rice or beans. My husband drinks it cold instead of southern sweet tea. :giggle My kids really like it too.

*cough cough* Just popping in to market the fact that rooibos is indigenous to South Africa (and the name literally means "red bush" in Afrikaans). :shifty

pastelsummer
12-12-2011, 09:56 AM
no fair all you gals in africa you have access to the good stuff i want some

Damselfly
12-12-2011, 10:35 AM
*cough cough* Just popping in to market the fact that rooibos is indigenous to South Africa (and the name literally means "red bush" in Afrikaans). :shifty
:rockon And from what I have read it was traditionally used to support health in South Africa. :heart It was considered the herb of pregnant and nursing women. (It may still be as far as I know.)

CapeTownMommy
12-13-2011, 09:50 AM
:yes It is generally considered to be healthy and it is available EVERYWHERE. Seriously - if you're a guest in someone's home and they offer coffee or tea, a response of "tea please" is met with "rooibos or English?" :rockon

You should all just come visit!

Damselfly
12-13-2011, 10:49 AM
:yes It is generally considered to be healthy and it is available EVERYWHERE. Seriously - if you're a guest in someone's home and they offer coffee or tea, a response of "tea please" is met with "rooibos or English?" :rockon

That is so great! :heart My husband would especially love that. He's always grumbling because restaurants don't serve rooibos. :giggle

Lady TS
12-13-2011, 01:29 PM
How do you guys say rooibos?

Is it Roy-boss? Rue-ee-bose? ???

Damselfly
12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
How do you guys say rooibos?

Is it Roy-boss? Rue-ee-bose? ???
I have read Roy-boss is correct and that's how we say it. CapeTownMommy, is that right?

ViolaMum
12-13-2011, 02:59 PM

You should all just come visit!

So, am I correct in assuming that rooibos is what they are drinking in The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books every time they sit down to a cup of bush tea? (The books are set in Botswana.)

Damselfly
12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
So, am I correct in assuming that rooibos is what they are drinking in The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books every time they sit down to a cup of bush tea? (The books are set in Botswana.)
That's what I always assumed. I love that series. :heart

Eowyn
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
my dd is allergic to oranges and so many teas have oranges in them (most of my faves:doh) So what kids can she have? I know earl grey but she doesnt seem to impressed with that one

That's because bergamot (the flavor of Earl Grey) is an orange.

:rockon And from what I have read it was traditionally used to support health in South Africa. :heart It was considered the herb of pregnant and nursing women. (It may still be as far as I know.)

Something must be wrong with my taste buds. Every rooibos I've had tastes like mold to me. :scratch I want to like it. :hissyfit

Damselfly
12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Something must be wrong with my taste buds. Every rooibos I've had tastes like mold to me. :scratch I want to like it. :hissyfit
Have you tried rooibos from Mountain Rose Herbs? I've gotten some from other places that I didn't like.

Eowyn
12-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Have you tried rooibos from Mountain Rose Herbs? I've gotten some from other places that I didn't like.

:yes I also have the cilantro tastes like soap gene. My taste buds are weird.

CapeTownMommy
12-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I have read Roy-boss is correct and that's how we say it. CapeTownMommy, is that right?

:yes

And it is most probably what they're referring to as "bush tea" - although we also get honeybush tea which is slightly sweeter and tastes like, well, honey. :giggle