PDA

View Full Version : celebrate calm and calm kids parenting

teamommy
12-06-2011, 08:15 AM
I have been looking at the CDs from Kirk Martin for a long time, but due to the expense I end up balking.

I like what I've heard from his clips, but hoping someone can tell me who has heard his conference or the CDs:

Are there a lot of practical tips? I already know it's necessary to model calm and cool (though I don't always do that as well as I want to), to not exasperate, to love on them even when they push our buttons and we get angry, and that relationship is key. While listening to him is very inspiring, I want to know that there is more to his talks than that, before I spend money.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

AugustMama
12-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I have no idea but I am intrigued by him as well so :popcorn.

Jemma2
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
I bought the set of 4 CD's. They are the original set I think. There's one for parents, one for Dads, one about marriage, and one called Brain Boosters. I haven't listened to them in a while. But from my memory the parent one talks a lot about why certain kinds of kids have trouble listening, paying attention, etc. How they are looking for stimulation which is why they seem to be acting out. As far as actual practical things to do, I don't remember there being as many as I would have liked. There were some good ones though. I'm actually thinking that I would really like to have had the cd especially made for kids that Kirk Martin's son did. But I don't think I can talk my husband into it. If you ever get the chance to hear his presentations in person I strongly suggest you do it. They are free and I highly recommend it. So as far as the cd's go, I'm glad I bought them. However, I think if my kids struggled with ADHD type behaviors it would have helped me more with my understanding of them. Don't get me wrong, there are some great practical things he suggests. Since I'd already heard him speak in person before I bought the cd's, I'd heard some of them already. I get his email newsletter and he says often that if money is an issue to be bold and ask for what you'd need to be able to get them.

gentlemommy
12-07-2011, 12:05 AM
:cup

SillyMommy
12-07-2011, 07:27 AM
I've seen him twice now and REALLY want the CD's. The one his son did is high on my list.

charla
03-04-2012, 01:04 PM
He's speaking this year at our homeschool convention. I don't know anything about them. Will there be talk of spanking or training or shaming?

AugustMama
03-05-2012, 06:24 AM
They are very gentle in their approach from what I understand. I would totally go if they were coming near me.

charla
03-05-2012, 10:09 AM
That's good to know. :rockon I'm always a little leary of the workshops at our homeschool convention. Voddie Baucham is the keynote speaker and many other speakers in the past have been hugely patriarchial and punitive parenting, two topics I refuse to waste my time on. :shifty

AugustMama
03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
ITU. Ted Tripp is the keynote speaker at the Christian homeschool conference near me. :td

Jemma2
03-08-2012, 08:32 PM
I think you will find Celebrate Calm very much opposite of those things. The main message is one of parents keeping calm and in control of their emotions. But not just so they can punish. But so they can teach children how to manage themselves and give them tools to be successful. I can't say that I've never heard him talk about consequences, he has. But mostly it's all about setting children up for successful but meeting their needs and bringing calm into every situation. I really think you'll be pleased with what you hear. Quite honestly, I'm a little envious because I'd love to hear him in person again.