PDA

View Full Version : christmas tree and 15 month old

musiclady
12-04-2011, 02:58 AM
has anyone got any ideas on how to stop our 15 month old touching our tree? We have no playpen or anything like that, and its going to be constant redirection. Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

Blue Aurora
12-04-2011, 05:14 AM
either put a a gate around it or put your nice ornaments way up high and safe ornaments down low.

klpmommy
12-04-2011, 05:58 AM
Put it in another room that he can only go to with your presence (which is our tactic most of the time.)

Order something like this to put around the tree. http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Classic-Packaging/dp/B00020L78M/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1323003279&sr=1-1 We did that one year.

Only decorate the tree out of reach. BTDT. Take pictures, I think it is super cute.

Only decorate with unbreakables & let him "redecorate" when he wants. This is my favorite and I do it as well as keep the tree in another room. I haven't put an ornament (other than JS's) on the tree in years, the kids do all the decorating. I love our tree every year.

Tandem mama
12-04-2011, 06:14 AM
Put it in another room that he can only go to with your presence (which is our tactic most of the time.)

Order something like this to put around the tree. http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Classic-Packaging/dp/B00020L78M/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1323003279&sr=1-1 We did that one year.

Only decorate the tree out of reach. BTDT. Take pictures, I think it is super cute.

Only decorate with unbreakables & let him "redecorate" when he wants. This is my favorite and I do it as well as keep the tree in another room. I haven't put an ornament (other than JS's) on the tree in years, the kids do all the decorating. I love our tree every year.

I always let sunshine play with unbreakable ornaments but cuppycake eats them, so we went to only decorating the top this year

WingsOfTheMorning
12-04-2011, 07:06 AM
We put the breakables up high and let the kids play down low. I also use ribbon instead of hooks to hang the ornaments.

a good book under a tree
12-04-2011, 07:48 AM
I also use ribbon instead of hooks to hang the ornaments.

Oh, what a good idea. I'm going to try that too. :ty

klpmommy
12-04-2011, 07:51 AM
I use sparkly pipe cleaners to hang. Easier for the kids.

Niphredil
12-04-2011, 09:37 AM
With my first I tried to keep her from touching the tree. It was basically a futile effort. :shifty

Last year I decided that I GOMB enough, and why make it harder on myself? I put all my glass ornaments on a small tree up on the entertainment center and had a kids tree that they were free to decorate as they fancied.

This year I'm making this for my nice ornaments - http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Holiday-Decor/Christmas-Ornament-Frame-Project-from-Commercial/td-p/32831

aleigh
12-04-2011, 12:51 PM
When DD was 12 months old we got a smaller tree & put it up on a table in the window. It would have been torture for her & us to have had a full-sized tree.