PDA

View Full Version : Playful parenting win.....

hey mommy
12-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Playful Parenting win: Cias was throwing a fit about something while getting ready for school. He was stomping around and was just angry. So I looked at him and said "You aren't stomping hard enough, I don't feel any earthquakes! Try harder!" That made him laugh and he was done. Situation diffused by a little laughter. I love it.

Thene I told him "I am the queen of stomping. I invented The Stomp." What I didn't tell him(but probably should have) is that I would have gotten a belt to my butt if I had behaved like he did. :(

3boysforme
12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
:tu

I am not great at Playful Parentig, so thanks for giving me something to use. My ds1 would have loved that. :yes

Domina
12-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Playful Parenting win: Cias was throwing a fit about something while getting ready for school. He was stomping around and was just angry. So I looked at him and said "You aren't stomping hard enough, I don't feel any earthquakes! Try harder!" That made him laugh and he was done. Situation diffused by a little laughter. I love it.

Thene I told him "I am the queen of stomping. I invented The Stomp." What I didn't tell him(but probably should have) is that I would have gotten a belt to my butt if I had behaved like he did. :(

:rockon

Nah, if you'd said what was in your spoiler, he might have gotten mad again. Sounds like you did great!

MollyTrustsinYHWH
12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Oh I love this! I will definitely have to try something like this in the future... I've heard of playful parenting books but have always been sort of leery of buying one because I didn't know what sum of information would be presented. But with an almost three year old and a 14 month old toddler this kind of thing would be so helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Tandem mama
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
I love playful parenting!!!! :clap way to go!

Barefoot Bookworm
12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
:woohoo I love Playful Parenting.

joysworld
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
That is awesome!!

dukeofhazzard
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
:rockon

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

My middle is impossible to playfully parent. If I make him laugh while he's mad, it just makes him FURIOUS. :giggle

mrsd
12-02-2011, 11:35 AM
That sounds like a good idea...let him stomp out his frustrations.

joysworld
12-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Ds6 was raging today, and being violent. I was restraining him, and then I was staying in his room to help him calm down. He told me he just couldn't calm down and he was so angry. I went to his bed, and asked him if he knew that I got angry. He said no. So, I told him that sometimes I do get angry. I would state something I would get angry at, and I would hit the bed according to how angry I would get. Example, I stated I get angry when people leave their dishes out, and I punched the bed barely. Then I stated about something that would really make me angry and punch the bed really hard. I did all levels of angry. Then I asked him if he could show me how angry he was. He said no, so I just went through each level of punching the bed and asked him if that was how angry he was. He finally said yes when I got to the hardest punch. This diffused him enough that he wasn't raging, he was just sobbing and continued to sob for another 30 minutes are so.

I stink at playfully parenting. It does not come naturally. This thread is what I remembered this morning when dealing with his rage. Thank you:)

Domina
12-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Ds6 was raging today, and being violent. I was restraining him, and then I was staying in his room to help him calm down. He told me he just couldn't calm down and he was so angry. I went to his bed, and asked him if he knew that I got angry. He said no. So, I told him that sometimes I do get angry. I would state something I would get angry at, and I would hit the bed according to how angry I would get. Example, I stated I get angry when people leave their dishes out, and I punched the bed barely. Then I stated about something that would really make me angry and punch the bed really hard. I did all levels of angry. Then I asked him if he could show me how angry he was. He said no, so I just went through each level of punching the bed and asked him if that was how angry he was. He finally said yes when I got to the hardest punch. This diffused him enough that he wasn't raging, he was just sobbing and continued to sob for another 30 minutes are so. I stink at playfully parenting. It does not come naturally. This thread is what I remembered this morning when dealing with his rage. Thank you:)

Sounds like you :rockon at empathy. Great job!

rjy9343
12-06-2011, 02:44 PM
You know is what the best part about being Mom? We get to break the punitive cycle! :rockon We get to be goofy, playful and deal with undesirable behavior the way we wish someone would have dealt with us. We get to give the mercy and grace we really needed. You did great. He does not need to know anything other that you know something about stomping and you know how to end it. Way to go, Mama!:heart