PDA

View Full Version : Sudden 5.5yr old tantrums

mom2afew
12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
maybe a little history from the last week. my family has been sick with colds and flu, like bad colds, and pukey flu bug at the same time. my poor kids, it's been really rough week. they're starting to feel better today, not coughing as much, no more runny noses, and no more tummy aches. but my oldest, she's throwing these tantrums like she's 2! out of no where she just starts having a fit and screaming, kicking and swinging her arms, shaking her head, it's crazy, she's not done this for a long long time.
Maybe i need some script to get her out of it, but i've tried asking her to use her words to help us understand what she's upset about. she just continues on, i tell her if she wants to behave this way she should go do it in her room so she won't hurt anyone, well i tell her i'll bring her to her room so she can't hurt anyone but she's getting very heavy for that. I ask her why shes behaving the same as when she was 2, and nothing, she just continues.
Maybe it's just left overs from being sick. but it's incredibly frustrating when it hasn't been an issue and i know she knows how to communicate.

Titus2Momof4
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I'd just offer hugs and assume it's leftovers from being sick. You know how sometimes you seem to be getting better but still feel "blah" inside? That's probably how she feels. :hug2

If you think it's something more than that, do you have any examples?

mom2afew
12-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I'll give an example just so you know what i mean.
Last night DD was tieing up Dh's legs with a scarf, just silly knots that he can pull apart. this was going on for a while, it was great fun for them both. he then turns around and ties her up, she didn't complain, was smiling while being tied up. then he left her to untie herself. He was just sitting on the couch i think on his laptop, one leg tucked up under his knee. She gets out of her knot and then just suddenly starts this tantrum, she wouldn't answer us for a good 5-10 min. It was bizarre!! We finally managed to get her to tell us why she was so upset, and she just wanted to tie up daddy's legs again. we just looked at eachother having no idea where this came from and why she just didn't ask for daddys other leg.