PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk dog beds

Macky
11-28-2011, 12:48 PM
First, our pooch. He's a black lab cross (with pitt the vet thinks). This is the only pic I had handy that shows his size in relation to a person. This was the day we brought him home, January 2007. He's bigger (we think he was a year old when we got him from the shelter) now that he's almost 6, but his build is still long and slim. He's an indoor/outdoor acreage dog. As long as the weather is nice, he's outside during the day in all seasons. He comes in at night, when it's raining and when it's too cold in the winter. He has a rather quiet, polite bark when he wants to come in. :giggle
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/Macky77/IMG_0035-2.jpg

His dog beds don't last 6 months before they're completely flat. He doesn't seem uncomfortable and has no sores or any hint of sore spots at all, but he doesn't stretch out and flop the way he does when his bed is new. He brings all manner of dirt, mud, water, sand, straw, grass and skunk :doh when he comes in, so the bed gets washed probably more than most. The dirt gets down into the fill, passing through two layers of fabric (cover and fill bag). I bought a blanket that goes on top of his bed now so I can just wash that and wash the bed every second or third washing of the blanket.

Really, though... I'm SICK of washing beds and blankets. We can't afford to replace his bed every six months, neither can we afford a $100+ foam bed that would support him better.

What do people do for beds for all-weather dogs?

There's a big dog bed sale on right now at a large chain and we found a bed that has the same fill as a beanbag chair. The fabric is all-weather proof which means it's out of our price range even on sale. Is it possible, though, to buy bean bag chair filler and just fill his current bed with that instead? It seems to me it would support him better and not flatten so quickly. Yes/no? If it is a good idea, where would a person find such a product?

What do you have for your dog(s) and why?

ETA: Hold on... filling his current bed doesn't solve the washing issue. :doh What sort of fabric could be wiped down instead? I'm wondering if making a bean bag bed is going to rival the price of the store bed. :(

LadybugSam
11-28-2011, 01:01 PM
As a disclaimer i don't own a dog, so i have no personal experience with this.

as far as washing it goes, i think the best bet would be to put down a crib matress pad over the main part so that the actual bed doesn't get dirty/wet and then cover the top with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-Cotton-Jersey-Laundry-Blue/dp/B001F51AN0 The drawstring should help keep it from flopping around or bunching up when she is bedding down for the night. I might even safety pin the edges of the waterproof pad down so that it doesn't get out of place if your dog likes to dig in their bed :think

as for the actual bed, i'm not sure. you might be able to find some high density foam to line a flattened bed with, but i'm not sure how well it will hold up in the long term. The bean bag idea sounds nice, but i can just imagine doggy ripping a hole in it and getting it everywhere.

Macky
11-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Thankfully, Tucker has gotten over his "chewing up everything in sight" puppy phase. There's a reason his name means worker of cloth. :shifty He doesn't dig in his bed.

I never thought of a crib pad. :tu We just recently put away the crib and won't be having any more kids, so we already have a pad in really good shape that I don't need anymore.

How do foam mattress toppers hold up over time? I can get a 1" Obuse Forme twin topper for $20 on sale at Sears right now (eta: a lightbulb went off when you said foam that never went off when I was thinking foam... funny how the mind works). I could cut it up into dog bed sized pieces, layer them together and sew the waterproof crib pad (inside out?) as an inner cover. I could sew the throw blanket I'm using as a top blanket right now into a removeable/washable outer cover.

Good idea or no? I knew I was stuck and just needed someone to brainstorm with. :) Thanks, LS!