PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep a kitty out of the tree? *Now with Pic!*

3boysforme
11-25-2011, 09:00 PM
My kitten is in love with the Christmas tree, she thinks that it is her own personal play area. It is driving me a little :crazy

Is there a non mean way to keep her out? I don't have anything that I can block the tree off with, and really she would probably climb that anyway.

itzj
11-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Good luck. We built a special room in our new house with french glass doors for the sole purpose of keeping our cats from eating the tree. Is she just climbing it or knocking things off? Knowing me I'd anchor it and call it a day.

3boysforme
11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
She is not climbing it, yet, but she is playing with all the ornaments.

itzj
11-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Ok. Before we moved we used to put cat safe ornaments on the bottom - plush, wooden, etc. They would bat those off and leave the rest alone. It might not go beyond that if you keep putting them back on.

3boysforme
11-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Well, it may have just been the newness of the tree last night. She hasn't touched it at all today :shrug

OrangeHope
11-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Lucky! mine even climbs the tree and he's driving me nuts!

JessicaTX
11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
We bought bitter apple spray and it seems to be working so far!

mrsd
11-28-2011, 05:05 AM
I don't know, but I remember one Christmas at my brother's home and the cat climbed the tree and it went crashing to the floor-my brother said it was a yearly tradition.

Rabbit
11-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Our first cat's first Christmas was a brutal all out assault on the tree. He even broke the tinsel. It was relentless and daily.

Zoesmama
11-30-2011, 08:01 PM
I have a spray bottle of plain water around its only ever been fresh plain water used for the cats and my brother used the plain water on the grill.

Last year I did that so far she climbed in a couple times and gets out from a firm "get out". This is her 3rd Christmas we got her Christmas eve 2 years ago. :)

Akina
12-03-2011, 07:40 PM
For our cats, the novelty wore off (they are 5 and 2). They no longer take ornaments off but instead just chill under the tree pretending they are big predators in a lonely forest :giggle
They used to hunt ornaments, but we water sprayed them with a cheapo water bottled. They know they are not supposed to do it and they just stopped this year, finally. They do go to town though on the tree skirt, I have to readjust it at least three times daily ;)

Zoesmama
12-05-2011, 12:10 AM
For our cats, the novelty wore off (they are 5 and 2). They no longer take ornaments off but instead just chill under the tree pretending they are big predators in a lonely forest :giggle

:giggle My brother's cat is the eldest of the two and she likes to display her dominance and will get under there and protect it. The "kitten"(also 2) mine and my daughter's cat will try to sneak in and get chased off. She climbed a couple times and the older cat she has been batting at them but knocks them off just walking under. The kitten tore off running from the older cat and tore a gift wrapping already. :giggle

Akina
12-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Which reminds me - my childhood cat once jumped on the Christmas tree, knocking it over (8 foot tree). The tree fell on her, ornaments shattered, she was ok, but never again came close to the Xmas tree ever ever again ;)

3boysforme
12-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Well she has been playing with bottom of it, mostly batting the decorations around. She also has been opening the presents under the tree :doh

But last night, I found her like this:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Hej415/2011-12-13_17-54-13_445.jpg

:haha she looked like a Jaguar or something! I tried to pull her out and she was just holding on to those branches.

Saphirah
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Don't let the kittys see this (http://www.fluffytails.ca/christmas.asp) then. My parents have the same problem, ours just drink the water.

itzj
12-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Don't let the kittys see this (http://www.fluffytails.ca/christmas.asp) then. My parents have the same problem, ours just drink the water.

Pine water can be toxic to cats, try to wrap the bottom if you can. We had to wrap ours tightly with pul fabric underneath the tree skirt to keep ours out. One year they pawed the tree skirt into the water, which then sucked up the water like a sponge and all the presents got wet. We had to rewrap everything.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Well she has been playing with bottom of it, mostly batting the decorations around. She also has been opening the presents under the tree :doh

But last night, I found her like this:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Hej415/2011-12-13_17-54-13_445.jpg

:haha she looked like a Jaguar or something! I tried to pull her out and she was just holding on to those branches.

I know it's bad, but she's so cute in there. :)

3boysforme
12-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I know it's bad, but she's so cute in there. :)

She is very cute :yes. I am not a cat person at all, but I really do like her.

kiloyd
12-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Mine have never climbed the tree. We don't hang any ornaments on the bottom of the tree.

He did try to taste the tree when we first put it up though.

I think you just keep shooing her out and take down the tree Jan 1st, or sooner!

PS Your cat is beautiful!