PDA

View Full Version : Playing catch to diffuse meltdowns

dulce de leche
11-21-2011, 11:29 AM
My ds has been extremely almost six the last few days. Today he needed to turn off his game and he refused. I gave him the option of doing it where it could be paused or me shutting it off completely, and wound up turning it off myself. He lost it. Screaming and shaking. He didn't attack me, but the rage was just rolling off him in waves. So I handed him one of those squooshy-balls-with-tentacles and, as expected, he threw it at me. I threw it back, and we played dodgeball/catch for several minutes. He was getting all the physical release of throwing as hard as he could, but since those things are soft and not quite aerodynamic :giggle there was no danger of anyone getting hurt at all. With each throw, he calmed down a little more, until finally he was giggling and running to hug me between throws. :heart I think I need to get more of those balls, because it saved our morning from being really ugly. :shifty

Amber
11-21-2011, 11:37 AM
:tu

GentleMomof4
11-21-2011, 11:38 AM
That's an awesome idea! I need to try something like that with T & S. They get really invlolved in whatever their doing and it's hard to get them to switch gears (especially at bed time!)

euromom
11-21-2011, 12:00 PM
:rockon what a great idea *makes mental note to get some of those balls next time I am at the store*

Jemma2
11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I know we've talked about Kirk Martin and his program Celebrate Calm somewhere around here before. This is completely something he would suggest doing. You're helping your son learn how to calm down, what he can *do* to help himself. You might find yourself going to this any time you feel like he needs to express feeling or talk something out as he gets older. I wish this kind of great idea would come to me when I need it instead of when things are all calm and happy.

ArmsOfLove
11-21-2011, 09:03 PM
I know we've talked about Kirk Martin and his program Celebrate Calm somewhere around here before. This is completely something he would suggest doing. You're helping your son learn how to calm down, what he can *do* to help himself. You might find yourself going to this any time you feel like he needs to express feeling or talk something out as he gets older. I wish this kind of great idea would come to me when I need it instead of when things are all calm and happy.

:yes It's important to address the current situation but ime it's best to address it with the infusion of a tool that will equip your child to help themselves in the future :heart Stopping *this* situation is far too short sighted. When you consider the benefits of your *how* you get farther :yes

Joanne
11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
If the pattern is tied to tv/movies/computer use/video games, you might have to severely limit or eliminate them for a season.

If the challenging moments are tied to screens, your first step could be that "leaving games well" is the condition under which the next game session is allowed.

I've also noticed that too much screen time can be directly related to bad behavior around here.

YMMV on this one.

DolphinMemae
11-21-2011, 11:01 PM
my oldest son had extreme anxiety issues and high frustration. I made sure he had a squish ball (for stress release) in his pocket when he went to school. We used them around the house as well. We ended up w/ quite a collection of a variety of colors, tensions, textures, etc.

ReedleBeetle
11-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Yes, I have noticed a corelation between screen time and behavior as well. I have seen seasons where it has hurt and seasons where it has helped. In certain situations, it is a life saver (like when we are somewhere that he is getting overwhelmed and needs an escape) and situations where it hurts (plugging him in to get things done :shifty).

Marsha
11-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Yes, I have noticed a corelation between screen time and behavior as well. I have seen seasons where it has hurt and seasons where it has helped. In certain situations, it is a life saver (like when we are somewhere that he is getting overwhelmed and needs an escape) and situations where it hurts (plugging him in to get things done :shifty).

This exactly. And If they are tired, i think they get "locked in" more easily,. Ummmm, I know I do ...

Tasmanian Saint
11-23-2011, 02:59 AM
I wish this kind of great idea would come to me when I need it instead of when things are all calm and happy. Yeah, me too :sigh

DavidKelleyMay18
11-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Great idea! I think this would be good for my son too. Where do you get the squeeze balls from.

DolphinMemae
11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
you can usually find them in the sport section of any department store, or in the weight lifting section of a sports store. Some pharmacies carry them as well.

DavidKelleyMay18
12-05-2011, 05:48 AM
I just saw them in the flyer last night (sports ones) at Bed Bath and Beyond. I'll be picking one up is for certain.