PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle crying or whining?

DavidKelleyMay18
11-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Constantly my dd is crying and/or whining.. The way I've handled it is for example my older dd brought her Sunday School book to her this morning. All of a sudden the tears started. So I told her tell her how you feel. Tell her that next time that you would like to bring your own book down. She continued to cry and cry. I just asked her if she was ready to tell her sister how she felt. Then I did say you need to stop crying, so that your sister can understand you. I don't want to hide her feelings by my telling her not to cry. Yesterday she was on the floor crying her eyes out because she was KOTD and the mailman brought the mail to the door due to a package. I wasn't home when this happened, but I think someone else answered the door. Is this just a phase? It's tiring me out, and I am clueless how to handle it.

Oh I forgot to add that dd is 5.

Thanks, Kelley

ArmsOfLove
11-13-2011, 11:22 AM
if you check the dyt threads she might be a type 2--my type 2's were much more whiny/crying at that age than my other types (who expressed what I assume is the same developmental stuff in their own ways ;)).

I would reflect her feelings so she has names for them, help her to work towards using her words. If she isn't doing it I would speak for her to her sister. "Her tears are telling you, 'Sister, I didn't like that you . . . '" Eventually she will take up using her own words and continue in that direction :heart

DavidKelleyMay18
11-14-2011, 07:51 PM
if you check the dyt threads she might be a type 2--my type 2's were much more whiny/crying at that age than my other types (who expressed what I assume is the same developmental stuff in their own ways ;)).

I would reflect her feelings so she has names for them, help her to work towards using her words. If she isn't doing it I would speak for her to her sister. "Her tears are telling you, 'Sister, I didn't like that you . . . '" Eventually she will take up using her own words and continue in that direction :heart
I sort of did this, so I guess I'm on the right tract. Not sure about the type 2 stuff, but I'll have to check it out when not exhausted. :yawn

Thanks, Kelley