PDA

View Full Version : Is this resource guarding?

JessicaTX
11-12-2011, 10:05 AM
and how do I stop it?
I have a little dog that wandered in. I haven't found his owners after a good attempt. He's I think a miniature schnauzer, but he's the size of a biggish chihuahua. He's really sweet, to me. Follows me everywhere and would prefer to be held all the time. He's more than 6 years old (according to the spca I took him to to see if he was microchipped) But, if he's sitting in my lap and one of my younger two try to pet him, he growls at them. He's growled and lunged towards my son when he reached out to pet him. I've been putting him down every time he growls, and I tried having my son approach him with a treat while I was holding him, but he growled before my son could even offer it to him.

How do I teach him that my kids aren't a threat? He can't jump up on the couch, he's too little, and he growled at my daughter when she tried to lift him up to give him to me. I've now stopped even holding him while my kids are around, I put a blanket on my feet and let him lie there. Is that a good approach?

JessicaTX
11-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Or...do you know of a place I can ask this question where i might get some answers? I am not familiar with pet forums

Kiara.I
11-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I know we have some mamas who are very knowledgeable about dogs/training. Hopefully one of them will see this soon!

Johns_Gal
11-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Resource guarding isn't something I have dealt with beyond my grandma's evil little yorkie. :shifty She learned quickly with me, but I was foreign to her and she wasn't claiming people, she claimed my couch and got nasty when my own dog just came over to sniff noses.

SilverMoon
11-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm not knowledgeable, but that sounds a lot like he's a 1-person bonding dog, you're alpha female, and the kids are like other dogs to him. I think keeping him off you, off the couch, and treating him like a dog (like not picking him up or talking in a high pitched voice to him) are good starts to correcting the behavior. The local shelter here knows of dog behaviorists that can help. Maybe the SPCA has a list to share with you.

JessicaTX
11-14-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm gonna call the SPCA today to ask! but I'll have you know, not babytalking this little darling has been very difficult. How do you ask a dog if they need to go potty without crooning it at them? lol

SilverMoon
11-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I say, "Blue, outside!" When I was houstraining him, I kept him attached to me or in his crate. If he was out of the crate and he lowered his nose to sniff, out he went with that same command.
I'm not one to gush over a dog or cat, though, no matter how cute. Every once in a blue moon I do it with our dog, and my kids think I'm possessed.

Maybe his previous owner babied him, treated him like people.