PDA

View Full Version : Loose aggressive dogs and no animal control: WDYD?

Johns_Gal
11-10-2011, 09:35 PM
There's a guy in town selling bullmastiff pups, and at this point the idea is starting to have it's appeal. :shifty :lol Wonder if they make a labrador flavored puppy chow?

I run every night. Last night, I was charged by a labrador. His owner was in his front yard, dog came onto the sidewalk. I screamed, owner yelled, dog stopped at the last second. Owner proceeded to tell me how a labrador would never hurt anybody. Right. Except yes theydo,and he just seriously considered it.

Tonight, it was a loose, unsupervised pitt bull with a broken gate to his yard.

I called the police and they see no harm.

This is my street. I walk with DS often and alone.

Mind, I have owned many dogs. A labrador, and a pair of half pitt brothers, among them. I know the difference between "Hey, get away from my yard, shoo" and a tail erect, ears up, hair bristling charge.

Pepper spray is going with me from now on, but is there any other option I should consider?

One thing I miss about TX, animal control didn't mess around with nasty loose dogs.

Llee
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm so sorry. Got no advice, since the scariest thing I've seen have been black squirrels and a piece of bread thrown at the right time diverts them. :shifty

Rabbit
11-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I am not opposed to shooting aggressive dogs.

everybody's mother
11-17-2011, 04:13 PM
While I absolutely do NOT advocate hitting or harming an animal EVER for training purposes, I also absolutely DO believe in self defense. I would bring at least a small club with me. Generally, a plastic soda bottle works on coyotes, but a domesticated dog that knows what "people" are won't nescesarily run from the noise of it on their nose.

racheepoo
11-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Can you take a coke can filled with pebbles or things that make noise to shake at them? Sometimes that helps stop them. Yes, some sort of citronella spray or something too. :hmm

Domina
11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Pepper spray.

Charlie U
11-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Pepper spray is good. I'd also carry an umbrella. ( :shifty ) Apparently, most dogs are freaked out by an umbrella opening in their faces. HOWEVER, I don't think I'd test that out on a bullie.

3PeasInAPod
11-17-2011, 05:54 PM
pepper spray is a great idea! We have a no leash law in our county & recently I had a dog widly trying to get my chickens - they were locked up, but he was tearing up my coop & run to get at them!! I called the sheriff & I was told to use whatever means necessary to rid the dog b/c there is nothing they can do! (Thankfully we were able to get a hold of whose dog it was & they came & got him.)
But it sounds like you're in a neighborhood - so I like the idea of pepper spray!

Lady TS
11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
First answer: pepper spray
Second answer: baseball bat
Third answer: dog whistle?

If they were lurking around your home, and animal control refused to do anything, and an attack was imminent (and you didn't have close neighbors), I would say gun, but I don't know that you want to run with a loaded gun. It may take you too long to load an unloaded one if a dog snuck upon you, anyway. And the owner may press charges if you kill their dog...but depending on the circumstances....

Eta: dh say to call the sheriff and tell them about it and if they ask u why u are calling them, tell them that animal control is not taking you seriously. Dh says that animal control probably has some connection with the dog owners and that may be why they aren't doing their job... Or maybe they r just lazy. :shifty

Auroras mom
11-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Stun gun, bb gun...? fireworks?

I agree, self defense is okay.