PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Textbooks vs Switched on Schoolhouse?

RealLifeMama
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I need (OK, want) to get a math curriculum that my DS can use on the computer. He really enjoyed the Time 4 Learning math when we did that for a short time after the baby was born. I know of SOS and Teaching Textbooks. (Any others?)
I looked at each briefly and looked at the sample lessons, but I don't know much beyond that. I found the gorilla in one of them a bit distracting.

I did use the search function, but did not see much of a comparison between the two. Has anyone tried either or both? Which one have you heard better things about? He would be doing the grade 3. I might get one for DD, too, grade 5, as it seems that when I do math with her, she cries every time we do something new.
That makes it a lot of money, so I don't want it to bomb.

(Yes, as a former math teacher, I feel disgraced. :doh)

jandjmommy
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Teaching Textbooks is super fun for DS7! We switched from Saxon a few weeks ago and math is now the easiest subject to get him going on.
The concepts are explained very well, IMO. We started on 4 though DS is 2nd because 4 starts with pretty basic topics -- he's about 20 lessons in and it's still basic addition, greater than/less than, etc.

RealLifeMama
11-10-2011, 03:46 PM
:bump

bliss
11-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I was not thrilled with SOS, both the curriculum 'style' and their customer service left me a bit cold.

Iarwain
11-10-2011, 04:41 PM
My dd tried SOS for a while. She sort of enjoyed it but *hated* the math. I hated everything about it from day 1 but then I'm an unschooler who was just going along with it because she wanted to do it...

I haven't compared side by side at similar grade levels nor have I used the computer elements but the Teaching Textbooks books my high schoolers have used have been very user friendly.

allisonintx
11-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I really hated SOS, because it was so EXACT. If you put a space somewhere in your answer accidentally, it was WRONG....even when the answer was correct.

TT is more intuitive and not nearly as confusing on the setup side.

Grover
11-10-2011, 04:50 PM
SOS wasnt high in the fun department.Aleks was boring.Manga High-we like and its free -but you need to register as a school :shifty.There was another one .........off to look for it

Marzipan
11-10-2011, 05:00 PM
DD loves TT. And, you can turn the sound of the Gorilla off. (You can also click on him and turn him in to about 10 other things...)

Peaceful Meadows
11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I've never tried SOS but my boys :heart TT. :yes

tempus vernum
11-15-2011, 06:43 AM
We haven't done SOS but my kiddos like TT :)

RealLifeMama
11-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks, y'all!
I ordered the Teaching Textbooks and am super excited about it.
one question- can I install it on as many machines as I want, or is there a limit? (as long as they are mine, of course.)

allisonintx
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
I put it on two machines without a problem.

tempus vernum
11-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I put it on two machines without a problem.

:yes The only thing is that the gradebook and the answers aren't online (they are on your harddrive) so you will not know which lesson you are on (unless you use the workbook). We use one machine for all math even though it's on both machines - this lessens the confusion about "which lesson am I on?"
;)

Of course, if you use the workbook, this isn't an issue. The issue would only be that you have 2 gradebooks to print.

Allison, do you do something special to avoid that issue?

allisonintx
11-28-2011, 02:38 PM
we have a shared network. All computers can be seen and accessed from the other computers.

emerald
11-28-2011, 02:57 PM
We've never used SOS, but I just ordered TT 3, after hearing so much positive reviews on it (from Sonlight, too). My oldest was using MUS and really didn't like it last year, so I thought we should try a different approach.