PDA

View Full Version : I need help remembering this is just a season

Tandem mama
11-06-2011, 11:40 AM
I try to do fly lady but Charlotte is just a very busy high needs highly oral baby and it's difficult.

I need encouragement and a reminder that this is just a season and it will pass.
I need to be reminded that caring for my children now will help them be confident and healthy later and then I'll have all the time in the world to clean my house.

jujubnme
11-06-2011, 01:03 PM
:hug This is just a season. Also, during this season, don't feel guilty about choosing to simplify in ways you might not in other seasons. (use of disposable plates, making super-easy meals, etc.)

greengirl19
11-06-2011, 01:13 PM
our LLL meeting this past week was about how it's more important to enjoy spending time with your children and meeting their needs than have a Hallmark Christmas. You don't need to clean, cook, or have nicely wrapped presents to enjoy your family in the holiday season :yes

Niphredil
11-06-2011, 03:25 PM
This is just a season. It will pass. :yes Really.

Build simple routines to get by, add more as you can, and when you need to fall back to the simple ones. A year from now life will be totally different.:heart

Tandem mama
11-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I think I need to let myself be ok with not being super mom.

LilacPhoenix
11-06-2011, 03:39 PM
:hugheart Right there with ya! Despite using paper plates for a lot of meals, DH and I did FOUR full dishwasher loads yesterday and still have 1-2 more plus what we used this morning. And that's only the tip of the iceberg of what needs to be done... My oldest has SPD and my youngest isn't as high needs but not the easiest baby either. So housework takes a backseat!

:heart this:

Song for a Fifth Child
by Ruth Hurlburt Hamilton (1958)

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Niphredil
11-06-2011, 05:11 PM

IDK if you heard, I just got a newsflash: Being super mom is overrated.

Kiara.I
11-06-2011, 05:32 PM

As someone pointed out to me (after the cake I was making for my son's birthday decided to nosedive onto the floor :doh), the Mother of the Year award? Just another thing you would need to dust. ;)

sherry
11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
There is a great Anne Voscamp quote about not letting worry over a clean house turn into "idol worship" of the super clean, super efficient house ... I fretted away a lot of time when my kids were babies, I still do to be honest, but looking at it like that helped me focus away from the mess and back on the important stuff.

blondie
11-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I just went through this. I took about 2 weeks to deep clean like a crazy woman and totally simplify my home. I took out a van load of stuff we didn't need. Now I can spend about 1 hour a day keeping it up, and I have the rest of the day to mostly focus on my daughter. :hug

I totalllly know how you feel, and it is just a season.