PDA

View Full Version : Just tried scripting for the first time EVER!

PaperMomma
10-26-2011, 07:34 AM
And it's working!!!! :rockon

It's working really well too. I think it's helping me just as much as her. It seems to be keeping us both calmer. It's giving her something to listen to, think about, and do. And it's keeping me calm and focused and feeling like I'm "doing" something about it when she's doing something she shouldn't.

Maybe it's still so fresh to me, but I totally get why parents spank. It's "easy". Your kid does something that you don't want them to, and you don't know how to handle it. So you just spank them. There's not much thought required there. Plus, everyone's doing it! :shrug3

This scripting though feels like I'm helping her learn how to do the right thing, not just punishing her for doing the wrong thing. And isn't that a million times better?

Yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir. Yes, I know it's not going to work great every time like it's working this morning- which is why I've got books on the way so I can learn more tools! Just wanted to share my excitement with someone who would understand. :heart

ArmsOfLove
10-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I'm so glad you're experiencing the joy of scripting :hug

I discovered it by accident--when my son with autism was a toddler and I told him he needed to do something and he argued with me and I repeated the instruction and he said something different and after about 10 things I told him, "Just say, 'Okay, Mommy.'" And he sighed a huge sigh of relief and said, "Okay, Mommy." and I went :jawdrop

Who would have thought that teaching a child WHAT to say was so simple and straight forward--yet to mention so necessary!

PaperMomma
10-26-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm so glad you're experiencing the joy of scripting :hug

I discovered it by accident--when my son with autism was a toddler and I told him he needed to do something and he argued with me and I repeated the instruction and he said something different and after about 10 things I told him, "Just say, 'Okay, Mommy.'" And he sighed a huge sigh of relief and said, "Okay, Mommy." and I went :jawdrop

Who would have thought that teaching a child WHAT to say was so simple and straight forward--yet to mention so necessary!

That's cool.

I'm finding it's helpful if I make it seem a little like a game too. And it's funny, because she'd actually just started doing scripting with me. She'll often tell me a question she wants me to ask her, or what I'm supposed to answer with when she asks me a question. So she's already familiar with the concept, which is pretty cool! :yes

Stiina
11-03-2011, 06:08 PM
:rockon
So fun! :)