PDA

View Full Version : Older children lying

Blue Aurora
10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
So obviously we are having a rough season here... :sigh

I totally get the young "words are magic" lying phase and I haven't even had that much of an issue with our toddler/preschoolers lying but now I have a 7.5 year old who is lying alot and over stupid stuff. This also is a BIG issue for dh...he sees it as a huge character flaw. How do you deal with a 7.5 year old who lies?

I know he's at an age where he supposed to be getting more responsibility and autonomy but I'm starting to think he's just going to have to constantly stay in the same room as dh or I....

I'm at a loss and while it's not as huge a trigger to me as dh, I'm getting concerned about the behaviors I'm seeing in him. He has always been our most difficult, spirited child and I'm scared we are failing him big time.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

and even worse when we try to talk to him he either runs away from us or when cornered growls like an animal. Every fall we see a huge increase in crazy behavior from him. I just really don't understand why he acts the way he does.

swimming with sharks
10-22-2011, 06:08 PM
:hugheart I don't have any big ideas, but you have a BRAND new baby in your house, everything is pretty crazy right now....is this the outlet for some pretty big feelings about another kid in the house? and not even in a 'I'm mad about a new baby' kind of way, :no but just a mom's out of whack, dad's here, things are all wiggy, I'm going to wig out too. :doh:shifty

I'm praying for you guys. :pray4:heart

Katigre
10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
How do you respond when he lies? What has been the pattern of response in the past? What words do you say to encourage truth-telling?

kiloyd
10-22-2011, 08:09 PM
What is he lieing about?

If you know he did something, don't ask him, just say what he should do next time.

Like when my 10 yr old took a Lego car from his friend I said "That was E's car, you need to give it back and apologize". I get stuck though when he denies it when I KNOW he did it and I"m not trying to make it about what he did but about what he could do different next time.

Do you think your son should have an evaluation for a bigger issue?

milkmommy
10-22-2011, 08:31 PM
7.5-8.5 was the year of the lies for us.. Over really dumb stuff too.. We just refused to give the lie power called her out but didn't belittle.. Jsut I know that is a lie.. Lying is wrong you need to (say sorry go make amends ect) over and over..
Eventually she got bored or matured or gave up ect because it just stopped being an issue after some time..

Deanna