PDA

View Full Version : The Five Steps?

PaperMomma
10-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I've seen the five steps mentioned in a couple of threads, but I have no idea what they are. They sound helpful though, so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be wonderful. :heart

Also- is there a recommended reading list? A GBD 101 sticky somewhere? Throw all your noob resources at me, please! I've got a three year old and some days we're just treading water over here. :)

Stiina
10-20-2011, 10:41 PM
I've only got a 21 mo so we mostly use redirection but I could use a refresher on the 5 steps as well. I forget everything I read when I first joined GCM - I was like a vacuum, sucking up all the information...but the someone dumped the canister :giggle

So, just subbing (posting to subscribe to the thread so it shows up in my User Control Panel) and :popcorn for answers!! (Popcorn = pretending to eat popcorn in anticipation of someone answering your question ;))

As for a reading list...Hmm, I don't know about that. Dulce la Leche had a great blog post about her Parenting bookshelf, and I bought many of the books she recommended. But I've also run across many more in random threads and added them to my "to buy" list.

The search function doesn't work very well or I'd recommend that you do a search for a few threads about recommended reading. Check out some stickies and do some exploring (and try to be patient as you want to suck up every morsel of information that these GCMs have for you! :hug)

And...WELCOME to GCM!!!!!!! :welcome :hug :cheer

ArmsOfLove
10-20-2011, 10:42 PM
The board is set up to encourage all sorts of gentle discipline approaches. GBD is the one that I developed years ago (and add tools and ideas to all the time ;)) and you can learn about it at www.aolff.org :tu The book where I introduce GBD is called "Biblical Parenting" and can be bought at amazon. I've also got "Grace-Based Living" on Kindle--it talks about GBD but applies the ideas of grace to other areas of life (marriage and others).

Here's the 5 Steps :) http://aolff.org/grace-based-discipline/the-5-steps

and please let me know if you have any questions :)

Codi
10-20-2011, 10:48 PM
In addition to the GBD concept Crystal has developed, here is a list of books that support Gentle/Positive Discipline (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=210121).

Welcome to GCM! :heart

PaperMomma
10-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll come back and read through later when I have more time. I'm hoping my library will have some of these books! Long shot?

So, just subbing (posting to subscribe to the thread so it shows up in my User Control Panel) and :popcorn for answers!! (Popcorn = pretending to eat popcorn in anticipation of someone answering your question ;))

Hehe- I'm super familiar with message boards and all that stuff. :giggle It's just the GBD stuff I need help with. :) I appreciate it though.

Thanks for the welcome!!!:heart

socaintexas
10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the resources!

Kiara.I
10-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll come back and read through later when I have more time. I'm hoping my library will have some of these books! Long shot?

It is a long shot. They'll probably have one or two of them, but not most. That's okay, you can inter-library loan them. Just go in and ask your library to bring them in for you. :yes

Stiina
10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Crystal, you're a big fat tease. Your book isn't on Amazon.ca :impouting I've been checking every week for...oh, I dunno, probably since I joined gcm. It's out of stock and I don't know how to contact them to give them a big fat mean :poke about it!!
I hate that I can't order from the .com site. They have so much more stuff there!

PM - sorry for assuming :blush so many people post threads asking about some of those terms so I thought I'd be ahead of the game and help you out! :giggle

Kiara.I
10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I hate that I can't order from the .com site. They have so much more stuff there!

:scratch But you can. I have. Huh?

Plus, you can always check on AbeBooks. They have the Biblical Parenting one, although not the Grace-Based Living one.

PaperMomma
10-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Crystal, you're a big fat tease. Your book isn't on Amazon.ca :impouting I've been checking every week for...oh, I dunno, probably since I joined gcm. It's out of stock and I don't know how to contact them to give them a big fat mean :poke about it!!

PM - sorry for assuming :blush so many people post threads asking about some of those terms so I thought I'd be ahead of the game and help you out! :giggle

Oh it's ok. I appreciate the thought, and yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of people that come through and have never really been on a message board before. Just thought I'd give you a heads up that this isn't my first message board rodeo! :giggle

Stiina
10-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Kiara - I'm in Canada. They catch me with my pesky postal code every time. :sigh Good tip about ABE too, I had forgotten about them. I mostly order from thriftbooks and amazon.

Kiara.I
10-21-2011, 03:14 PM
I know, me too. That's why I'm confused. :giggle
I'm pretty sure they ship to Canada? :scratch I know a couple of times we've picked up stuff from across the border, obviously that wouldn't work, but I thought we could get stuff shipped here too.

ArmsOfLove
10-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Kiara - I'm in Canada. They catch me with my pesky postal code every time. :sigh Good tip about ABE too, I had forgotten about them. I mostly order from thriftbooks and amazon.

have you found the Grace-Based Living book on Kindle? That should work everywhere :tu And I am supposed to be working on a rewrite of BP so maybe after I move I will have space in my brain for that :giggle As much as I love BP I love GBL even more--I think it's BP all grown up :heart

Stiina
10-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Hmm. I dunno, Every time I try to order something from .com, it comes up that the item is undeliverable to my address. And I've tried using the postoffice's street address to get around having a PO box, but that doesn't work either.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.

Crystal - I don't have a kindle, though!! HOw do you read it if you don't have one?? I want to read everything you've EVER written...:giggle on this board and on real paper! :heart

ArmsOfLove
10-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh you are so sweet :hug

This page has links for downloads for all types of computers and info for smart phones, etc :) I have kindle on my pc :tu

DavidKelleyMay18
10-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the 5 steps. I guess I knew the basic steps except for the bear hug although I did that step a few days ago with realizing it as a step.

Kelley

PaperMomma
10-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I got Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline at the library yesterday. I'm only 11 pages into it, but it's awesome. I think it's going to be exactly what I've needed.

I also got Protecting the Gift, and it's AWESOME. Anyone here read that one?

GentleMomof4
10-29-2011, 01:37 PM
I got Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline at the library yesterday. I'm only 11 pages into it, but it's awesome. I think it's going to be exactly what I've needed.

I need to get that one. I've heard A LOT of mommas on here recommend it. :tu

PaperMomma
10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I need to get that one. I've heard A LOT of mommas on here recommend it. :tu

Oh, it's soooo good. Anyone with kids, no matter what parenting style, needs to read this book. (IMO)

marigold
10-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Oh you are so sweet :hug

This page has links for downloads for all types of computers and info for smart phones, etc :) I have kindle on my pc :tu

Crystal , sorry where is the link, I'm in the same boat as Stiina, I'd love to read your books but cannot seem to get them here in Canada

PaperMomma, as far as book go, I really liked "East to Love Difficult to Discipline". I've also started "How to talk so your kids listen and listen so your kids talk" and it seems really good too.

DavidKelleyMay18
10-29-2011, 07:47 PM

I got it at the library as well until I :heart it soo much that I bought it at the library.

Kelley

juliew
11-01-2011, 08:17 AM
The book that probably impacted me the most was "How to Really Love Your Child" by Ross Campbell.