PDA

View Full Version : A good tool for the comfort corner - "Mind Jar"

PDX Mommy
10-20-2011, 08:10 AM
This has been going around on Pinterest, but for those of you who haven't seen it, here it is. ;) I thought it was a great idea & we're going to head to the craft store for supplies this afternoon! It's basically a jar filled with a liquid (oil, corn syrup, water & glue, etc) and glitter. The thick liquid suspends the glitter so it doesn't float to the bottom so quickly. So, child shakes it up and watches the glitter fall. I think DS1 would love this! He loves playing with DH's snow globes and I think this would give him something else to focus on when he's really upset.

http://www. herewearetogether.com/?p=2054 (link broken)

MercyInDisguise
10-20-2011, 05:35 PM
One of my LLL leaders was just telling me about this the other day! I love the idea! (I think I need it sometimes. :giggle)

Abibigail
10-20-2011, 05:40 PM
That's really smart!

socaintexas
10-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Great idea! Thanks!

staceylayne
10-20-2011, 07:24 PM
We made one last week! :tu It is a great tool!

I picked a plastic jar in case it gets dropped (or thrown) and made sure the lid was super glued on nice and tight. When I showed the pretty, glittery jar to my DD she loved it and shook it with such enthusiasm it jumped out of her hand and landed hard on the wood floor. The lid cracked and started leaking. :doh

We've still used it with success a few times, but I have to shake it up and hand it off to a kid who's not too out of control. I can't get the lid off this one and we don't have enough glitter to make another one, so I really need to get back to the store. Hopefully jar #2 will last longer than a couple hours. :)

Stiina
10-20-2011, 09:10 PM
I want one for myself!

TenderLovingWillow
10-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Oh! I need one of those. I was just looking at snowglobes, and put it back because the boys would break it. :giggle

Thanks for posting. :)

Victorious
10-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I made one and the first time I gave it to my 2 year old she kept saying "I'm not calmed down yet" and would shake it again :giggle

HWiitanen
10-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I've made one all ready for my son. I plan on making a couple more for a variety of colors. :-)

Bonnie
10-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Ooooooooh.