PDA

View Full Version : Need a consequence

Blue Aurora
10-10-2011, 04:28 AM
My 7.5 and 5.5 year old boys have woken up 3 mornings in a row and snuck the iphone they aren't supposed to touch without permission. What do you do when they take it anyway even if they've lost the priveledge of using it?

Housekat
10-10-2011, 04:32 AM
First of all I'd make sure it's somewhere they can't get it - take away the temptation, so to speak. Put it in your bedroom?

Second, as to consequences, I have no idea :shifty I think the situation is maybe something to do with trust, but maybe just putting the iPhone away for good would be enough anyway?

joysworld
10-10-2011, 04:39 AM
I think the only thing that needs to be done is you put it somewhere where they can't get it. This helps them be successful in staying away from it, and it saves your frustration.

AmyDoll
10-10-2011, 04:40 AM
I agree with Housekat, put the iphone up where they dont have access to it.
The only other "logical" consquence would be getting rid of their screen time for the day. "Sorry boys, you chose to use your screen time this morning so there won't be wii after school. I'll put the iphone up so you don't lose that again tomorrow."

Blue Aurora
10-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Yea we've done that, they woke up early to search for it before we woke up. Maybe I need to tell dh to bring it bed with him and sleep with it under his pillow.

I'm frustrated though...it seems like at their ages we should not be having this problem.

MarynMunchkins
10-10-2011, 04:42 AM
You can set a passcode on the phone so they can't use it. Ask me how I know. ;)

MomtoJGJ
10-10-2011, 05:10 AM
We have a passcode on our phone. We had to put it on there for a different reason, but it's amazing how much this gets them to ask before using it. Evie even comes to ask now instead of bringing it to us. It's useless to them with the passcode on there.

AmyDoll
10-10-2011, 05:21 AM
Remember that video games are addicting - it's a brain issue. If they are acting like junkies looking for their next fix, that's cuz they are. Maybe screen time needs to be dialed way way way back to none.

klpmommy
10-10-2011, 05:30 AM
what are they supposed to be doing at thiat time?

Blue Aurora
10-10-2011, 06:32 AM
Yes, we have severely restricted tv time and the phone is only for dr appts.

They are supposed to be reading quietly in bed or playing quietly in the room.

MarynMunchkins
10-10-2011, 09:24 AM
It *may* be to the point where since they enjoy it and are capable of using it responsibly, you want to start incorporating it into their alloted screen time instead of reserving it for dr. appts. only. :)

Heather Micaela
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
It *may* be to the point where since they enjoy it and are capable of using it responsibly, you want to start incorporating it into their alloted screen time instead of reserving it for dr. appts. only. :)
Yeah, if you do not need it during those hours and you are sure they can use it correctly, it seems like an appropriate quiet time activity to me. But it should take away their time from some other similar video activity:yes

The other consequence might be that you have to rise when they do :shrug3 They could be bored -and bored kids do not always make the best choices ;)

milkmommy
10-10-2011, 09:40 AM

I agree

expatmom
10-10-2011, 10:05 AM
On the flip side, it is perfectly reasonable to say "the iPhone is a very expensive piece of equipment, not a toy, and not something the kids get to play with, ever." That is my rule. The iPhone is mine and it is not a toy. End of story.

If I couldn't trust my kids not to mess with it, it would stay on my person or hidden way up high so they couldn't get it when I was sleeping.

Your kids don't seem to understand 'loosing a privilege' so I'd make it completely inaccessible to them at all times.

Heather Micaela
10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
On the flip side, it is perfectly reasonable to say "the iPhone is a very expensive piece of equipment, not a toy, and not something the kids get to play with, ever." That is my rule. The iPhone is mine and it is not a toy. End of story.

If I couldn't trust my kids not to mess with it, it would stay on my person or hidden way up high so they couldn't get it when I was sleeping.

Your kids don't seem to understand 'loosing a privilege' so I'd make it completely inaccessible to them at all times.
I agree with this too, actually.

I think it is ok to re-assess and decide if a rule is really necessary. If it isn't then you are allowing your kids to grow some and you just have rules of use. If you want the phone totaly off limits then I would put it out of reach/locked. And I might also decide it is best to get up when they do.