PDA

View Full Version : Best GD resources for INTJs?

Domina
10-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Help me out, mamas.

I tried reading Love and Logic, and I couldn't get past the first 5 pages. "What if parenting could be so awesome and wonderful that it was actually FUN when your children misbehaved? What if the whole world were pink fluffy unicorns dancing on RAINBOWS? What if we told you that our book could make all of your problems disappear?!?!?!?!" (Is this a parenting book, or an infomercial?)

I tried reading Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline, and I was too bored to continue past the first chapter. I don't want to read about your personal exercise journey, woman. I can't imagine anything less interesting.

I found the design of the GOYB website and Sally Clarkson's blog distracting. I think I really just wanted bulleted lists of practical, gentle-discpline suggestions for numerous situations, and no fluff.

Can you recomment books or websites for that? I've read Families Where Grace is in Place, Biblical Parenting and Positive Discipline, and found them useful. I'm looking for things along those lines, I think.

sweetpeas
10-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Hmmm . . . I'm an INTJ, so I'll just share some of my likes/dislikes. I listened to the Love and Logic audiobook, it really rubbed me wrong. However, I read Loving Your Kids on Purpose by Danny Silk and really liked it, even though there were some similarities. I haven't paid attention to Sally Clarkson's blog, but I do like her books (Mission of Motherhood and Ministry of Motherhood), as well as Clay Clarkson's "Heartfelt Discipline". I've also really enjoyed everything I've read/listened to by Scott Turansky and Joann Miller. They were at our homeschool convention a couple years ago and I enjoyed their seminars, then got their CD sets for "Parenting is Heart Work" and "Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining and Bad Attitudes", they have books by the same names, I'm not sure how closely the books mirror the cds. I've also read their anger book and another one, I think it was called Home Improvement?

And of course Biblical Parenting, I love that it's a quick read, but provides tons of information!

mommy2abigail
10-07-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm an INTJ and I like the Turansky's materials too...and Crystals books. Both are easy quick reads, and full of practical advice. I'm laughing at your description of fluffy rainbows and dancing unicorns...I hate that stuff too lol.:shifty

4MKfam
10-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I tried reading Love and Logic, and I couldn't get past the first 5 pages. "What if parenting could be so awesome and wonderful that it was actually FUN when your children misbehaved? What if the whole world were pink fluffy unicorns dancing on RAINBOWS? What if we told you that our book could make all of your problems disappear?!?!?!?!" (Is this a parenting book, or an infomercial?)

:haha Yes, you ARE an INTJ. And I think we are kindred spirits. I could see myself thinking similarly with an opening to a book like that :lol.

I wish I had a better resource, but I don't :sigh. Best thing for me was meeting a family who modeled grace-based discipline and didn't have hellions for children :shifty :bag. I needed to see it in action and know that it worked :shrug.

eta: ...Wait. :scratch Are you looking for resources for yourself, or resources to communicate to others? I guess I was assuming you were looking to help someone else.

Aerynne
10-07-2011, 08:53 PM
My Favorite is http://www.amazon.com/How-Talk-Kids-Will-Listen/dp/0380811960

oops- I'm an ISTJ. Close enough? Anyway, the book is very practical, even with comic strips of possible scenarios.

cbmk4
10-08-2011, 07:42 AM
I like Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's books, Raising Your Spirited Child and Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles. I also liked Dealing with Disappointment. While these books are not specifically about GBD, they are consistent with nonpunitive discipline. They dealt with the topics that I need help with the most.

Domina
10-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'm looking for books for myself, and you've recommended several that I've never read. :tu

ThreeKids
10-08-2011, 02:32 PM
The best do it yourself book for INTJ's is usually the last half of the book. Skip the why you should do it sections if you like to hear what it is then judge whether to do it.

Once in a while the whole book (Baby Signs) is all why you should do it, with just a few scattered pieces of real information. :banghead

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

I liked The Baby Book. It's by one of the Sears. It's a style I can read out of order so it might still have fluff or not, but I was able to laser in on what I wanted.

BHope
10-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Have you read Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Love (http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Consequences-Logic-Control-ebook/dp/B003WUYVD2/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1318168341&sr=1-2-catcorr)?