PDA

View Full Version : throwing food, any other thoughts?

Cat
10-06-2011, 10:30 AM
she does it when she's done i think but no matter what i just can't get her to stop and i am getting resentful.

any other ideas for me? i've been doing food is for our mouths and no throwing food for a year, getting her down, telling her we say all done, pass the food to mama when you're done.....

help. is this normal?

Happygrl
10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Normal. We only give a couple pieces of food at a time during that phase and carefully watch for the first signs of being done so we can remove the food before they have the chance.

rjy9343
10-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Very normal and very annoying.:hugheart

Cat
10-06-2011, 01:36 PM
thanks ladies. we only give a little at a time too. she is also really hungry....

so when does this end?:lol

MercyInDisguise
10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
When does it end, and what do you do when they throw even when they are still eating?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cat
10-06-2011, 05:18 PM
When does it end, and what do you do when they throw even when they are still eating?
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah that happens here too. she's still hungry. just out of seat and back ad naseum?

KarenBoo
10-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Both of my girls only did the throwing thing when they were done eating, and got through that phase pretty quickly. I would always remove the tray and say "throwing food means you are done." I rarely got a protest! (and if I did get a big protest, I'd deal with it on an individual basis. Sometimes the protest was about being overtired and it was time for sleep. Sometimes the protest really was about being hungry and I'd help my child finish eating.)

But if I had a child who was throwing when still hungry, then I would sit with that child and watch him/her like a hawk. The second food was going to be thrown, intervene and grab that little hand and gently bring it back down and say "In your mouth!" and guide it towards a mouth. Or say "put it down." or whatever you feel is right at the moment.

Obviously, all children will grow out of it. But if you are 100% consistent in watching closely and not allowing the throwing at all, then the habit will be formed quicker.

MarynMunchkins
10-06-2011, 05:30 PM
My kids don't sit and eat like human beings until about 4. :shrug

mrsd
10-07-2011, 04:16 AM
I think it is normal behavior too. I also agree with serving only 2-3 bites of food at a time.

expatmom
10-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Give less food at a time & sit close during meal time. I find I tend to use high chair time as a time for me to get stuff done in the kitchen; that tends to be when food gets thrown. I need to focus on dd & the food throwing lessens.

It does end. And get less annoying. Almost cute even. :)

mathematicalmessymamma
10-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Here's what worked for us. We got a special bowl for "leftovers" and keep in in the table right in front of her but just out of reach. When she is all done and looks like she about to throw food I grab the bowl and hold in front of her and say, "leftover food goes in the leftover bowl." she gladly puts it in the bowl. Also I've noticed certain food she is more picky about, like she won't eat a Lima bean if it is not perfectly formed or if a certain bite looks funny or different from the others she won't eat it in which case she has now learned to put that bite in the bowl and then continue eating.

PurpleButterfly
10-08-2011, 05:47 AM
How old is she? :heart

rjy9343
10-08-2011, 07:58 AM
This may or may not work for your daughter. My daughter recently discovered candles and thinks they are great. So I light a candle and put it well out of her reach, but where she can see it while she is eating. She stays in her chair longer, eats more food and throws less on the floor. I know it sounds out there, but if I don't have to clean up as much food. It sounds nuts, but it may work for you.:shrug3
The leftover bowl is a great idea. I am going to try it at the next meal.

Cat
10-08-2011, 04:45 PM
o sorry, she's 21 months!

Yes, I watch her like a hawk. Now she thinks it's fun to clean up the mess:doh"A big mess!" she yells. I have to force myself not to laugh.:lol

I tried the candle. I will try the bowl though, that may work with her!

Thanks so much for the reassurance and responses ladies!!!!:heart:heart:heart