PDA

View Full Version : I need to remember to practice playful parenting more

Tandem mama
10-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I've had an emotional time the past several days. Lots of life stuff just overwhelming me. I've been quicker to snap at sunshine and cuppycake Poor things! Cuppycake has four molars coming in plus she's healing from having her lip tie fixed. She's sobby mcsobberson. She's also babyzilla and dumps everything. I know it's developmental but dh is really frustrated at school with stupid overly time consuming busy work (mix seven colors of grey that specifically match these shades on this color wheel is step one of 30) so his household help has dwindled. He's amazing and does lots and I very heavily rely on him so the dumping is more frustrating because my house is so messy.

Anyways there's a lot stressing me out and I've had a hard time playing and being patient.

Tonight we were going to take a walk after dinner but sunshine wouldn't put pants on or let us help her put pants on. I gave her a choice, run around shouting until I counted to five then get ready for bed or come get pants on and go for a walk. She chose the former. Dh took her to brush her teeth which she fought then put jammies on. She was screaming and we were both frustrated. His frustration atvschool has him in a similar place emotionally.

Sunshine said "you're not my real family! You're a bad family! I don't like this!" I remembered playful parenting and said "bad families eat their children!" and we (including cuppycake) pretended to eat her. She giggled so I said "mmb so tasty! Now we shall do more bad things!!! Let's throw her toys!" she said "no now you're the good family hug me and kiss me!"

And a switch was flipped. We reconnected and we read stories said our prayers and snuggled her to sleep. The fit she was throwing was the intensity of fits that used to last HOURS!!!

I really need to remember to use this!

staceylayne
10-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Yay! Good work, mama!! :rockon

I know it's so hard for me to remember to be playful! Especially when I'm already feeling overwhelmed and stressed...which is when the kiddos need it most, I'm sure.

Tandem mama
10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Oh it definitely is for my kids! Dh said "we need to remember this more. It's almost immediate when we do!"

DavidKelleyMay18
10-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't totally get the playful parenting, but I'm getting there and trying too.

Good for you!
Kelley

MaybeGracie
10-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Way to go! :rockon Thanks for sharing. :heart

MercyInDisguise
10-04-2011, 05:48 AM
I struggle with this because of this punitive voice I still have in my head. It says that by diffusing the situation with playfulness, we're avoiding the real situation of whatever "naughty" behavior the child is exhibiting. :shifty

I know that's wrong thinking but it is hard for me to get past that. :sigh
Posted via Mobile Device

staceylayne
10-04-2011, 06:16 AM
I struggle with this because of this punitive voice I still have in my head. It says that by diffusing the situation with playfulness, we're avoiding the real situation of whatever "naughty" behavior the child is exhibiting. :shifty

Posted via Mobile Device

Me too! DH is naturally more playful than I and it used to bug me when he'd be goofy when they were not behaving. I wanted them to *choose* good attitudes and good behavior even when things weren't going their way.

I still want them to grow up to be people who don't use their circumstances (tiredness, "bad day", whatever) to justify rotten attitudes and actions...I just see a different way of getting there now. ;)

Tandem mama
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Me too. It's why I get excited every time it works and go :doh I need to do this more. But then I forget