PDA

View Full Version : water bath on glass top stove?

hbmamma
09-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Okay so I have a glass top stove... and I need a new/larger canning pot. Looking at the new ones it says not okay on glass top stoves... so what should I do? I haven't used this glass top for canning yet (I did in my old house with glass top) I really want to start putting stuff up :yum

Other alternatives I've found have been a camping stove (set up outside/open garage) or a gas grill... anyone else heard of this or experience this?

Thanks!!

ThreeKids
09-30-2011, 04:04 PM
I think I saw one on Lehman's site for glass stove tops.

Eta: yeah, not that helpful, but you can call them, they have some expertise.

hbmamma
09-30-2011, 04:11 PM
yeah their site says no way... I guess I could always take over MIL's kitchen with her fabulous gas range top... :shrug3:giggle

Rabbit
09-30-2011, 04:14 PM
I wonder if the potential weight is the concern, especially if they are thinking about what would happen if you dropped it onto a burner, fully loaded.

Amber
09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
My big water bath pot says that too, but I use it on my glass top range anyway :shifty

I *think* mine says that because the bottom of the pot isn't flat. But like I said I still use it and haven't had any problems.

MTmomma
10-01-2011, 12:44 PM
My grandma used hers for YEARS on her glass top stove without any problems. But I would get one of those plug in electric burners for the canner if I were you. Our glass top stove just developed a crack, so now we're looking at needing to replace it. Better to take simple precautions than go through THAT!

mrsd
10-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I was going to suggest 'borrowing' a friend or relatives stove in exchange for a few jars of whatever you are canning.