PDA

View Full Version : Need cabbage recipe ideas

cbmk4
09-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Both raw and cooked cabbage recipes are greatly appreciated!

mountainash
09-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I like to sub cooked cabbage for noodles in Pad Thai. :yum

WanderingJuniper
09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
:popcorn

knitlove
09-28-2011, 10:21 AM
growing up we had this thing called cabbage cassiroll, where it is cut up cabbage and then a kinda thin meat loaf with rice over it.

It started with cabbage rolls like this (sub a tomato sauce to the tomato soup) http://southernfood.about.com/od/groundbeefrecipes/r/bl00513a.htm
but we all wanted more cabbage so I use a hole head but didn't' up any thing else and cook it in my largest casirol dish.

It is really good, now I am going to add that to the menu for next week

abbiroads
09-28-2011, 10:24 AM
lacto-fermented saurkraut. super easy and yummy!

Elora
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
sautee onions, add cabbage and potatoes and simmer in chicken broth until cabbage is soft and potatos are done. season to taste

we sometimes add ham or venison chunks. i suppose chicken might be good too, since it's cooked in chicken broth.

charla
09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
sub - I'd like to incorporate more cabbage in our meals.

JessicaTX
09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Last night my husband roasted cabbage wedges and they were soo tasty!
He cored a cabbage, cut it into 4ths then cut each 4th into 4 wedges. He drizzled them with olive oil, then sprinkled a little sugar, salt and pepper on them, then baked them at 450 for 25 minutes. Drizzled balsamic vinegar over the top and served. Oh it was so good, and there were no leftovers :P

charla
09-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Last night my husband roasted cabbage wedges and they were soo tasty!
He cored a cabbage, cut it into 4ths then cut each 4th into 4 wedges. He drizzled them with olive oil, then sprinkled a little sugar, salt and pepper on them, then baked them at 450 for 25 minutes. Drizzled balsamic vinegar over the top and served. Oh it was so good, and there were no leftovers :P

Wow, that sounds delicious. :yum

Radosny Matka
09-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Cut up cabbage into thin strips, cook with onions in butter until soft (add butter as needed). Add salt/pepper as desired. Add a can of sauerkraut and let flavors mix for a while. Right before serving/using, stir in 2 tbsp of sour cream. This is the filling we use for periogies, but it is super yummy as a side dish or mixed with pasta.

Haven't tried this one yet but it sounds good.

http://joelens.blogspot.com/2009/10/kohl-und-hackfleisch-german-cabbage.html

Keeper-of-Mr.Monks
09-28-2011, 02:20 PM
cabbage rolls i havent had em in ages but they were good :)

Psyche
09-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Well you didn't specify *healthy* cabbage recipes so here ya go. http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/sauteed-cabbage-and-bacon-149392/

Katigre
09-28-2011, 02:28 PM
1 small red cabbage
1 large granny smith apple
1 package sausage (spicy is how we like it ;))
1 chopped onion
Some water and apple cider vinegar

Chop the produce and sausage, put it in the pan to sautee/wimmer until it's cooked. SO SO SO GOOD :rockon.

ThreeKids
09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
growing up we had this thing called cabbage cassiroll, where it is cut up cabbage and then a kinda thin meat loaf with rice over it.

It started with cabbage rolls like this (sub a tomato sauce to the tomato soup) http://southernfood.about.com/od/groundbeefrecipes/r/bl00513a.htm
but we all wanted more cabbage so I use a hole head but didn't' up any thing else and cook it in my largest casirol dish.

It is really good, now I am going to add that to the menu for next week

I'm doing this one right now. Dh loves the cabbage rolls his mom buys for everyone on New Year's, which is why I'm not telling him it's based on a cabbage roll recipe. I don't want comparisons because it's never the same.

cbmk4
09-28-2011, 05:43 PM
thanks everyone!! It's been a busy day and I still don't have time to read through all of these recipes. Maybe later tonight!

Love_Is_Patient
09-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Spicy Cabbage (Indian style)

Ingredients:
2-4 T. butter
1/2 t. cumin seeds
3 dried chillies (or 1/4 t. red pepper)
1 onion, sliced
2 1/2 c. cabbage, shredded
1-2 carrots, grated
1/2 t. salt
2 T. lemon juice

Melt butter and fry cumin and chillies briefly.
Add onion, cabbage, and carrots (in that order) and stir-fry until soft.
Stir in salt and lemon juice.

Cabbage and Pork Salad

Ingredients:
1/2 head cabbage, sliced finely
1-2 carrots, grated
1/4 lb. pork, cut into very small squares (can use chicken or beef if you prefer)
1 small onion, chopped
1 T. soy sauce
1 t. sugar
3-4 T. vinegar
2 t. lime juice
3/4 c. chopped peanuts (whirl briefly in blender or grinder)

Mix cabbage and carrots in large bowl.
Saute meat and onion until done.
Add to cabbage.
Stir together soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, and lime juice.
Pour over vegetables and meat; mix well.
Stir in chopped peanuts.
Serve with rice.

Hearty Cabbage Soup

Saute about 1 c. ground meat with 1 chopped onion and celery (if desired). Add 3 cups broth and 1 c. chopped potatoes and simmer about 15 min. Add 3 c. milk and 2 c. finely chopped cabbage. Season with salt, pepper, 2 t. brown sugar (optional), and 1 t. caraway (OR dill OR fennel) seeds in a spice ball/cloth bag. Simmer, covered, about 25 min.

PrincessAnika
09-28-2011, 08:01 PM
cabbage not-chili::
1/2 head cabbage chopped, dump in crockpot with 1 jar spaghetti sauce, half - whole jar worth of water (to rinse out jar), 1 lb browned ground meat (optional, and we like pork), and chopped any other sauteed veggies you like - onion, pepper, etc. cook on low 6-8hrs or high 4-6hrs. serving suggestions: plain, with bread, over rice, with potatoes, etc.
also freezes really really well in in bags for later :shifty
could also add potato chunks, corn, any seasonings/spices you like, beans, lentils, etc.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

oh, and thats enough to all but fill my 5qt crockpot.

cbmk4
09-29-2011, 04:17 AM
I might try that cabbage not-chili tonight! I needed something for the slowcooker. I have lots of peppers to use up, too.

Domina
09-29-2011, 06:35 AM
Sorry, I can't remember if you're a vegetarian, but one of my favorite crockpot recipes for cabbage is pretty simple:

Cut up cabbage, potatoes, baby carrots, yellow onions and smoked sausage and put them in the crockpot. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper and basil, to taste. Add a little olive oil and simmer till the potatoes are done.

I like to serve this with my famous cheesy cornbread.

Blue Savannah
09-29-2011, 06:40 AM
http://iowagirleats.com/2011/08/30/pot-sticker-burgers-with-spicy-asian-slaw/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IowaGirlEats+%28Iowa+Girl+Eat s%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

cbmk4
09-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Sorry, I can't remember if you're a vegetarian, but one of my favorite crockpot recipes for cabbage is pretty simple:

Cut up cabbage, potatoes, baby carrots, yellow onions and smoked sausage and put them in the crockpot. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper and basil, to taste. Add a little olive oil and simmer till the potatoes are done.

I like to serve this with my famous cheesy cornbread.

I am vegetarian wannabe! We probably have meat 2-3 times a week at most.

I'd love your cheesy cornbread recipe. I am making the not-chili recipe that PrincessAnika posted for dinner tonight, so it would be a nice accompaniment. (and I'm hoping the family won't turn up their noses at the addition of cabbage--ever so finely chopped--to their chili!)