PDA

View Full Version : Where do your cats like to hide?

LovinBeingMommy
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Just curious. I need some creative ideas for a picture project with the cat hiding. The more places I can come up with the better, so what are the craziest places your cats have hidden?

Jenjardin
09-26-2011, 10:41 AM
About a month or two ago, we were convinced that our (indoor-only) cat had gotten out never to return. We looked through the whole house in every place we could think of, and then all over the neighborhood, but couldn't find her anywhere. We all went to bed, with my younger daughter crying her eyes out. :bheart In the middle of the night, I got up to get a drink, and something made me look in this one particular kitchen cabinet one more time (we had looked in it about 2-3 times previously). I pulled out the crockpot this time, and there she was. :phew I don't know how she fit back there because she's pretty big.

PrincessAnika
09-26-2011, 10:51 AM
under beds/sofas/dressers that aren't solid to the floor, in closets, under coats/blankets left laying around, the 6" space between an end table and couch, behind the piano, under the van, on top of the van, on top of the open garage door :jawdrop - he moved pretty quickly once my mom hit the button for it to close :giggle......in the diaper beg, behind the tv (in an entertainment center, not flatscreen, box tv, that was against the back of the hole for it)....
my mom has an unstaged/unscripted/unpropped pic of our cat sleeping in my bed, stretched out, body under blanket head on pillow :tu

SilverMoon
09-26-2011, 10:52 AM
One of our cats gets into the ceiling in the attic. The walls are unfinished, but the ceiling is done. She can slip up there using a tall cabinet/wardrobe. I think she originally went up there to get some mice or birds.
She also likes to hide in the computer amoire, under the shelf the keyboard sits on.

The other cats are boring: boxes, under beds, behind the couches, on the unused bunk bed.

Oh! One time Larry slept with the guinea pigs. We had cloth bedding and he'd lie down in their cage to nap. Sometimes the pigs would cuddle with him.

LovinBeingMommy
09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
One of our cats was disappearing for almost the entire day every.single.day for a while and we couldn't figure out where she was going. Turns out, she'd discovered the open-top box of blankets under Monkey's bed. We discovered this one night when she didn't get out before bedtime and shot out as I was tucking him in!

believer
09-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Kittens can get in very small places. :yes
Under the dresser and night stand.
And, under the kitchen cabinets, there is a hole that goes into the space under there. They really liked that until we taped cardboard over it.
Behind the fridge.
Behind the clothes washer/dryer.
Under the buffet.
Inside shoes.
Inside baskets.
Behind the china cabinet.
Behind the entertainment center.
Inside the fisher price little people toy garage - the old one w/ the blue hanging down car wash and the elevator. http://www.thisoldtoy.com/new-images/images-ok/7000s-plus/72000-73999/fp72693-soundsgarage.jpg

Our cat is huge.
He cannot hide in as many places
under the bed
in the laundry hampers

LovinBeingMommy
09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
We have three cats ranging from about 8 pounds to 15 or so. I don't think there's anywhere Gracie can't go. Jack, the biggest, doesn't seem to have trouble getting into strange places, either, though. He sleeps behind the videos on my brother's shelves. The middle cat used to be big into hiding, but now he's older and doesn't care so much. He just wants a warm spot to sleep, preferably a lap. ;)

SilverMoon
09-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Our blind cat will 'hide' behind doors. He actually gets stuck and can't find his way out, so he lays down to sleep and then stalks people when they go in the room. Usually it's the bathroom. Larry also hides on the fridge, behind the cereal boxes and on the tallest bookcase and behind the dryer.

LovinBeingMommy
09-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Haha! I forgot that one of our cats hides in the litter box... We had to take the door off it because he was attacking the other cats when they went to use the box. They started having accidents. :yuck

JessicaTX
09-26-2011, 05:20 PM
On top of the water heater, lying flat on top of the back of the hangers in the closet (he makes it hard to get dressed) under the desk, lying on chairs under the table, on the top bunk, sitting on top of the door when it's open, on top of any bookcase... If they can get there and fit most of their body on it, they sleep there.

MaybeGracie
09-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Mine sleeps on top of our counters. She's scared quite a few of our guests that way. :giggle

Our other cat spends most of his time on the top of our upright freezer, behind the boxes of cereal boxes and pasta.

momofmany
09-26-2011, 06:30 PM
My cat has been hiding out behind the toilet in the bathroom... I think it's cool back there what with the summer heat.

When he was a kitten I heard a "meow" coming from inside the fridge and guess who popped out when I opened the door:giggle Also, another time we were tearing the house apart trying to find him and were convinced he had somehow gotten out, only to find he had tucked himself in a chair under the dining room table and was hidden under the tablecloth.:lol

holmama
09-26-2011, 06:44 PM
The funniest place I have ever seen a cat sit, was in a Pyrex casserole dish on a counter. the cats name is No Limit and his owners, my friennds, are....not very germaphobic :shrug3 it was pretty cute.
My bosses have two cats. One likes to hide A LOT and it really freaks me out because I will be in major trouble if she escapes on my watch. One time she just disappeared. the kids and I were just searching high and low (three story home, lotsa places to hide) eventually kitty was located under the pool table. There is a ledge of sorts in the frame under the pool top. There was little Ginger, perched precariously but tenaciously!
Now her favorite place is behind Dad bosses hanging clothes in the master closet. she just packs herself back as far as she can go. I've gone and looked there and not seen her the first time! One time the 5 year old boy I've cared for all his life announced he was going in to check on Gingy. OK buddy. After a while, I start wondering what he's doing checking on Gingy so long! He had crawled under the clothes too and cat and boy were fast asleep together :heart

Soaring Eagle
09-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Under the couch, under blankets, on top of the fridge, on top of the cupboards.

Domina
09-28-2011, 05:14 AM
My mom's cat is a crazy hider. Living with him is like playing Where's Waldo? Recently he has hidden:

In her purse (she has a big tote bag)
In her laundry hamper (ears just barely peeking out)
In the pillows on her bed
In her box of Christmas stuff
On top of the cabinets
Behind the toilet (so he could swat your ankles when you sat down)
In the kitchen sink

Weezie
09-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Let's see. Essie hides IN the toilet (note to self- close lid);
crawled under the couch and up into the padding (dh called me home from work frantic as he thought he lost my kitten);
in the laundry basket
in the bathtub
in the kitchen sink
under the central air unit outside
on the dining room chairs under the table
downstairs behind the totes of clothes
in our closets
and other places i couldn't find her til she decided to grace us with her presence.

Zooey
09-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Inside the old pump organ. :-/(We got rid of it aftrer I nearly dislocated my shouldrer getting her out--The foot pedals worked like a Have-a Heart trap).
Inside the back of a recliner chair.
Under a bed pillow.
Behind the microwave.
Under the toilet tank.
In the branches of the Christmas tree. (You ahven't lived until you've had to explain to visitors how it happened that the:giggle Christmas tree reached out & :hunhboxed their ears:shifty).
Inside a snow boot.
In the big enamel turkey roaster. After it was put away after Christmas. (Not here, but I read about it in "Amber-A Very Personal Cat" by Gladys Taber.)
My underwear drawer.
In the linen closet. (between layers of folded linens).
On top of a stack of books about lions, tigers, leopards, et all, at the public library. (The librarian said she never met a cat before who knew the Dewey Decimal System well enough to:lol file herself).
Behind the TV.
When it storms, she goes into my closet, & sits behind/on top of the old computer monitor.
In a basket of :P~clean clothes.
In a basket of :dohdirty clothes.
Under the Hoosier cabinet.
Behind the wine rack. On the wine rack. Under the wine rack. (I sense a :gigglepattern here......:shifty)
Under the kitchen sink.

greenleafknitter
09-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Mine somehow ripped a hole in the fabric of our box spring, so they can climb up inside the bed. The fabric hangs down like a hammock, and I'll frequently find them lounging there.

Jenjardin
09-30-2011, 12:31 AM
I had a previous cat who climbed into the boxspring, and one who would get into the inside of the back of our recliner. And one night a year or so ago, I heard my cat crying and couldn't find her anywhere. Finally, I opened up the recliner, and there she was trapped under it behind where the footrest goes. I hadn't even realized she had gotten in there when I had been sitting on it earlier. Poor thing. I was so glad she didn't get hurt when I closed her in it.

sherry
10-01-2011, 03:59 PM
This won't be much help on your project...but ours hides in the basement. Somewhere. He'll be gone for hours and appear covered in dust and cobwebs, we can't figure our where he hides...