PDA

View Full Version : Help me turn my dog into a dog we enjoy

ServingGod
09-22-2011, 06:10 AM
She is very sweet and well behaved...HOWEVER- she seems to be one of those dogs that is resistant to potty training no matter what I do.
She will be one next month and we have had her since she was 8 weeks old. Her temperament is VERY submissive and timid. I typically have dogs that are dominant and I have to be assertive with them and it has been a big learning curve because if I move too fast or am using a loud voice while near her (I have 3 kids and we are very busy) she will roll over and pee. Actually, that has gotten better as she finally realized I won't eat her alive but it still happens.

That isn't really the issue though. It is like she always has to go to the bathroom. She is an American Eskimo/Chihuahua mix and weighs about 20 lbs..she is very leggy. She will go outside and go on the command of "go potty" but sometimes she isn't really done when she come back into the house...and will be running around and then go on the floor. :-/

I feed her once a day now in the morning, because I have found anymore than that and she poos ALL.DAY. I have never seen this before, she is like a poop machine. With water, if she drinks more than a few laps at a time, she has to pee nonstop. I will take her out, and within ten minutes she will have peed on the floor...and keep repeating. I cannot take her out constantly. I give her a bit of water a few times a day and have to schedule her water.

This is very frustrating...and I am going back to work in a month. Dh has NO tolerance for dog accidents or even the dog herself, and he will be home running things while I am at work.

What else can I do to get her to hold it and WANT to go outside??

JessicaTX
09-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Put a diaper on her? I've read that dogs try to keep clean and won't go in a diaper. So if that works, putting it on her and taking it off to go outside would work. But my dog is mentally deficient and poops in it if I put a diaper on him so :shrug3 that's a little more messy than I'd ever care to clean up again.

mrsd
09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Have you considered she may be diabetic? Yes, dogs can have diabetes and frequent urination and excessive thirst are the symtoms-just like in humans. I have a friend whose dog is diabetic-she has to feed the dog on a strict schedule and give the dog medication.

Amber
09-22-2011, 06:26 PM
My first suggestion would be to take her in for a vet check.

Secondly, I would keep her on a leash with me, or in crate (when you can't have her on a leash). I would only let her off leash for a short time after having pottied outside and only under direct supervision. After 10 or 15 minutes I would put her back on the leash.