PDA

View Full Version : safe and hardy indoor plants/gardening?

Cat
09-20-2011, 01:54 PM
we have no space outside and our enclosed porch can't be used :( but i would really like to have plants/herbs/veggies. (at least plants and herbs)

they need to be hardy (despite my italian heritage i've killed all my apartment plants:blush) and nontoxic to people and kitties (our kitty chews everything but i'd like to try to have something. i think dd would love gardening)

any suggestions? thanks!:)

gentlemommy
09-20-2011, 08:47 PM
:cup

Macky
09-20-2011, 09:35 PM
If you're killing houseplants, herbs and veggies aren't going to fare any better as they're certainly not very forgiving of neglect like some houseplants can be. Sorry!

What kind of grow light setup do you plan on using? While you can grow a few herbs on a windowsill, they tend to be pretty wimpy compared to the same plant(s) grown outdoors or with proper artificial light.

There are very few, vegetables that can be grown to maturity indoors. You'd probably be limited to greens... unless you want to set up some hydroponics.

We've got five cats indoors, one of whom LOVES chewing on plants, so I totally get your concern there. I'm not aware of any veggie that you could grow indoors that would harm a cat. Our outdoor cats chew all sorts of things in the veggie garden. Check on the herbs, though, if you try something uncommon. Houseplants are a greater concern for cats.

I would suggest some easy flowers like smaller French marigolds or non-vining nasturtiums if your daughter wants to grow something on a windowsill. Both will mature and bloom indoors and the nasturtiums can be put in a salad. :)