PDA

View Full Version : 9mo kitten biting EVERTHING

Heather Micaela
08-29-2011, 07:06 PM
My 9mo male kitten, Anakin, is biting all the time. Is he teething or something? He was bite-y since birth - moreso than his littermates - and we have found him appropriate outlets for the most part.

He had gotten better. He has always annoyed his mom by biting her in affection. But now he is biting us in affection (his mom does it too but without bearing down) and all the redirecting is not stopping it.

Is this age appropraite (I have not had a kitten for 14 years!) and is there anything else I can be doing to help curb this behavior?

Heather Micaela
08-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Bump

JessicaTX
08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
No idea, I have a male kitten about the same age that does it too. He will come up and rub all lovingly against me then turn and chomp on the nearest skin. he also plays hard, he keeps his claws sheathed pretty well but he bites the fire out of ya, and he sneak attacks too. He got me in the butt and thigh this morning.

I've always had female cats befre and never had this problem. I wonder if it's a boy thing.

Heather Micaela
08-30-2011, 02:54 PM
No idea, I have a male kitten about the same age that does it too. He will come up and rub all lovingly against me then turn and chomp on the nearest skin. he also plays hard, he keeps his claws sheathed pretty well but he bites the fire out of ya, and he sneak attacks too. He got me in the butt and thigh this morning.

I've always had female cats befre and never had this problem. I wonder if it's a boy thing.
hmmm maybe

I do not remember my other boy kitten doing this, but that was so long ago. :think And the dynamic was different as he was an only and we used to wrestle him with our hand all wrapped for protection from bites. So he had an outlet. Anakin does not have that because mommy does not like how he plays. It is just such a fine line to show them when it is ok to roughhouse. And at the time the other was our baby. Now we HAVE babies and I do not want Anakin to think all two legged freinds are fair game.

Amber
08-30-2011, 05:09 PM
All their adult teeth are usually in by 6mo, so I would guess he isn't teething. I'm willing to bet he is in that punk teenage stage and it is going to take a lot of training and proper outlets to curb the behavior.

itzj
08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Sounds normal to me. I've got 2 brother's with chewing fetishes - one will even do it as a sulking reaction if he doesn't get enough attention. I know people say to not encourage it but we always have a wrestle sock around - as many socks on your hand and forearm to not feel the teeth and then go at it. Any time they get bitey we do a sock session.