PDA

View Full Version : Creamy Sauce - Two Ways

charla
08-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Creamy Sauce - Two Ways can be make into alfredo sauce or cheddar sauce. Either way it is yummy. I'm supposing that one could also make it into a tomato cream sauce, too, although I haven't tried that yet.

I will apologize here and now for not using real cream, but please, please, try it. It's so very creamy and yummy, you won't miss it a bit.

Creamy Sauce - Two Ways

3 TBSP butter
3 TBSP flour
2 cups 2% milk
4 oz neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
Salt
Granulated garlic

Melt butter on medium heat in a saucepan. Whisk in flour until smooth. Pour in milk and continue whisking. Season with salt and garlic. Add in neufchatel cheese and chop up with your whisk and keep whisking. It will look like it's totally ruined and clumpy, but it will smooth out. Just keep it on medium heat and whisk very often until it starts to thicken.

At this point you have a decision. Do you want it alfredo or cheese sauce for macaroni?

If you want it alfredo, add 5 oz shredded parmesan cheese and whisk until smooth. Pour over your favorite pasta. Add whatever toppings you like: chicken, sausage, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes. The sky's the limit.

If you want cheese sauce, shred up a bunch of cheddar cheese (can substitute other cheeses or a mixture if you wish, best to have it shredded before you start the sauce) and drop a handful in at a time and whisk until smooth. Add another handful, whisk until smooth until the cheese sauce is as cheesy as you want it. Stir into macaroni pasta and enjoy the gooey creaminess.

If at any point your sauce becomes too thick add more milk. If it's too runny, add more cheese.

I hope you like it.

ETA: The recipe makes enough sauce for a box of pasta - I don't think they are a pound now. What are they? 14 oz? Anyway that gives you an idea of how much it makes.

houseforjoy
08-29-2011, 04:41 PM
sounds yummy, I make the white sauce all the time, but adding the cream cheese would make it really creamy, and a great base for either of the sauces. YUM!

hbmamma
08-29-2011, 04:44 PM
:yum

kwisie
08-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Mmmm, sounds delicious!

alwaysHis324
08-29-2011, 05:24 PM
oooh thank you! All the recipes I've used for alfredo call fo so much butter, the whole thing turns out oily and gross. Definitely gonna try this.

why does chrome think alfredo is spelt wrong?

charla
08-29-2011, 05:25 PM
why does chrome think alfredo is spelt wrong?

I don't know, maybe it's supposed to be capitalized?? :shrug3

Lady TS
08-29-2011, 05:37 PM
That sounds really yummy!

I wonder if I can make it gluten-free? :think I wonder if arrowroot powder would make a satisfactory flour substitute?.....hmmmm.....

alwaysHis324
08-29-2011, 06:07 PM
I use a combo of rice flour and tapioca or potato starch as my substitue for flour in sauces.

mommychem
08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Sounds yummy! Too bad I had DH take the cream cheese out of the grocery basket last week. :doh

charla
08-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm thinking about adding salsa or chili to the cheddar sauce to make queso. :think