PDA

View Full Version : dogs, hurricanes, and doggie-duty

Radosny Matka
08-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Ummm....has anyone given any thought to your dog and his need to do his doggie-duty during the hurricane? I mean, if it's super windy and rainy, it might not be safe for him to go outside...

Close2MyHeart
08-26-2011, 07:15 AM
We will just let them go in the garage & deal w/ it afterwards.

If I didn't have a garage I'm not sure what I'd do? Maybe hold them on a leash for a few minutes outside... or let them go in the basement & then clean it up. :think

SouthPaw
08-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Dang, I don't know if my dog would intentionally go in 'the house' even if it was the garage. Maybe you should slice up a nice piece of turf and bring it inside, just in case :shifty

monkeylicious
08-26-2011, 07:24 AM
quick walk on the leash or let outside if have a fenced yard. biggest issue with wind is flying objects. when I lived in NC I had a large dog. I would let him out and he would do his business and come back in - he didnt want to stay out long. if you have a smaller dog and dont have an aeea for him to go, you might try a pee pad.

sorry for typos - typing one-handed

Damselfly
08-26-2011, 07:54 AM
My dog will "hold it" for up to around 24 hours. (We found this out while camping because she will only go in her certain spot in the back yard.) South Paw's idea of bringing in turf might be your best bet. I would suggest putting it in the bathroom. Before my dog stopped having accidents she would usually go in the bathroom if she did have an accident. Gross as it sounds, you could have a bit of your dog's dried poop in a baggy to put out on the turf to encourage him to go.

Praying you come through this safely and with minimal stress.

HomeWithMyBabies
08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
We're going to let her out often before it hits. She will refuse to go out, and hold it when it's a normal rain storm and she'll only go in the house out of desperation.

I'm more concerned with her anxiety level. I need some Valium for her, I mean that seriously. She gets so upset!

Damselfly
08-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm more concerned with her anxiety level. I need some Valium for her, I mean that seriously. She gets so upset!
Do you have Rescue Remedy you could give her?

Weezie
08-26-2011, 11:31 AM
My friend gives her dogs benedryl. Look it up online- it worked for her dogs during 4th of July.

Radosny Matka
08-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Eh, it's been downgraded right now for us, so I think he will probably be okay to go out for a quick duty and then come right back in.

cro
08-26-2011, 08:10 PM
We're going to let her out often before it hits.That's pretty much what we'll do too.