PDA

View Full Version : Which first- Furminator, or bath?

DoulaClara
08-18-2011, 06:17 PM
My dog needs both a bath, and to be de-furred, by the end of next week. Should I give her a bath first, and Furminate the next day? Or Furminate and then bathe? And then maybe Furminate again? I know it's not supposed to be done with wet fur, so I'm not going to even do it the same day..?

cbmk4
08-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I have never used that type of brush on my dog, but I know that if she has any matted fur, it only gets worse when it's wet. For this reason, I always brush and de-mat her before bathing her.

HomeWithMyBabies
08-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I love our furminator thing! I always use it first. It's much easier and less messy to wash her when she's been brushed well.

Lady Grey
08-18-2011, 07:27 PM
I would furminate first, because less hair means you can wash more effectively and also rinse more easily. You can always use the furminator again another day if you wish.

ncsweetpea
08-18-2011, 08:38 PM
We Furminate, wash, dry and Furminate again for the next couple days. They look so shiny after all that pooch pampering!

SouthPaw
08-18-2011, 10:31 PM
We Furminate, wash, dry and Furminate again for the next couple days. They look so shiny after all that pooch pampering!

Yep, this is what we do, so the shampoo/conditioner is more effective but you can still take care of the inevitable post-bath blowing of the coat.

Lady Grey
08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Just remembering that I would also use dog conditioner (something I tried for his itchy skin) and would run a comb through his coat before rinsing and that got a ton of hair out too)

Apple-Saucy
08-19-2011, 11:51 AM
My Aunt the dog groomer reccomends furminator, bath, blow dry, comb/brush between groomings :shrug3