PDA

View Full Version : That might be it for our garden

Macky
08-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Vicious hail storm went through last night. :cry The pumpkin vines took the worst of it and are completely shredded. I'll be bringing those in when I get a chance (super busy this week); at least they were starting to turn already (love those Racer pumpkins). Some of the corn is standing and some is flattened. Most of the potatoes are standing and some are flattened. Most everything else – pole beans, brussels, tomatoes, beets, other gourds/squash, celery and raspberries – is partially shredded and I don't have enough hail experience to know what will survive and what won't. The onions had already fallen over, so they're fine. The section with the leeks and carrots seems okay, too. I didn't get over to the other side to check the peppers with it being all soggy still.

:sigh

tinybutterfly
08-16-2011, 10:35 AM
:hug

I'm sorry.

Wait and see. We had a flash flood kind of thing run through our garden one year and it looked AWFUL afterwards. I mean TRULY AWFUL. :hunh

Anyway, a few days later things started to perk up and most everything survived. :shrug3

Hopefully, your garden won't be completely damaged.

Give it some time and see if some of the plants can recover.

itzj
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
:(:pray4

How much longer did you have in your zone?

Macky
08-17-2011, 07:48 AM
It's not unusual for us to get frosts by the end of August. :-/

We were in the city most of the day yesterday and got back long after dark. Haven't been out to check on the garden's status yet. I've got work to do inside yet this morning. I wish I could just snap my fingers and everything would be done and I could just go tend to the garden all day.

mamaKristin
08-17-2011, 08:20 AM
oh Robin :hug How frustrating.

We didn't get that storm, but we aren't getting much in the garden this year either way. This year has STUNK for gardens.

BriansLovie
08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
That is so devastating :(

Macky
08-17-2011, 09:44 AM
My aunt piped up on my facebook wall and seems optimistic about most of it, so that makes me feel better. :) Their area is notorious for hail, so she's got a lot of storms under her belt!

canadiyank
08-20-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm so sorry - glad your aunt is optimistic!!