PDA

View Full Version : Using Himilayan Rock Salt for pickling?

Stiina
08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Anyone here do it? My friend and I want to make some pickled cucumbers tomorrow and she wants to use her pink salt. :giggle

Are there any modifications I should make to my recipe?

TIA!

:heart

Rabbit
08-16-2011, 12:01 AM
We use himilayan salt at the table. It is just sea salt, from a particular region. Sea salt comes in a variety of colors, as the mineral content varies. It is all interchangeable as salt.

Stiina
08-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks Natalie! :heart

Lady TS
08-16-2011, 10:29 AM
I used it in my freezer pickles w/o a problem. :shrug3

One thing is, it's not as "pure" of a salt--mine has little dark specks in it...so if someone doesn't know you used Himalayan salt, they might think you didn't wash the cucumbers well enough before you pickled them. :shifty

Stiina
08-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Excellent info! Thanks girls.

And...maybe we DIDN'T wash the pickles good enough!! :duck heehee

codegirl
08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I have nothing helpful to add but wanted so say..

YAAY for pickling. Lonna and I are going to try pickling for the first time this summer, hopefully next week. Do you have a good recipe for beginners? Can you send it my way?

Love you!!!

RiverRock
08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Himilayan salt should work fine if it doesn't have iodine added. Pickling salt doesn't have the iodine that regular table salt has added. You would never want to use regular table salt for pickling.

Stiina
08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
What does the iodine do? Just curious! :D

Terri - I do, and it's awesome because it only makes 2 quarts at a time so it's not too overwhelming. And if you're feeling confident you can always double it!

3 c water
1 c vinegar
1/4 c salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Boil the above. Wash and sanitize jars, heat up snap lids. Put dill and garlic in bottom of jar, fill with cucumbers, pour the brine over top. Wipe jar mouth clean, centre lid on top and put on the ring. Put in a hot water bath overnight (no processing necessary).
And good luck! :)

RiverRock
08-22-2011, 05:49 PM
What does the iodine do? Just curious! :D

My grandma told me that iodine causes the pickles to be soft. I checked my canning book which said that iodine causes the pickles to become dark, and anti-caking agents in table salt cause the pickles to have a cloudy brine.