PDA

View Full Version : My kitty(s?) have diarrhea

April G
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
We found a paper bag under the shoe shelf with a diarrhea pile on it last night and today I saw one of them make a mess on the side of the litter box. Thank goodness I was right there cause she had it all over her paws too and I had to wash them. :(

So what do I do? I've been adding a little of a new food in with the food they were eating at our friend's house before picking them up, trying to switch over gradually cause the new food is more meat based and has less grains and no corn, which I'm told cats can often be allergic to. :think :shrug I removed that food out of their food bowl just in case that's what causing it, but how do I stop it? She/they don't seem to be bothered by it or feeling badly. They are tearing around like normal, being hyper little kittens, then napping for a couple hours. :shrug

Amber
08-16-2011, 11:14 AM
It could be the change in food that is causing the diarrhea. A diet that is meat based rather than grain based is better for cats, but sometimes switching foods can cause digestive upset.

Have they been in to the vet yet and checked for worms?

April G
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I removed the other food for now... I'll try again later once they've had time to get used to their new home... Is there a natural remedy for diarrhea? I googled it and the two suggestions were mixing rice or pumpkin puree in with their food... is that okay to do? :think

Amber
08-16-2011, 05:05 PM
If it is from the change in food it should clear up after a couple days of just being on their old food. I wouldn't add anything extra to the food.

April G
08-16-2011, 11:28 PM
The lady I got them from thinks it might be worms... she suggested diatomaceous dirt mixed in with their food... Thoughts?

Zooey
08-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Rice is good.
Personally, I would give them a few drops of Kaopectate, but I know you want to try something more natural first....(If you do decide to give kao, an adult cat's dosage is 1/4 tsp for under 7 pounds; you can adjust accordingly). I usually like to feed rice in some chicken broth. Just boil chicken in water, & add some cooked [white]rice to it. Witht heshreds of chicken, they love it, IME.

Amber
08-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Before treating for worms I would take a stool sample in to the vet to have it checked out. I feel much better treating for worms knowing what worms are there.

I don't know how well DE works for deworming. I you do decided to go down that route make sure the DE you use is food grade and check around to see how much to mix in the food.

April G
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Okay... so yesterday I called the vet to book their spade/neuter surgeries, and took the opportunity to ask her about the diarrhea. :shifty She highly doubts it's worms as it's just one of the kitties, and they had solid poops when we brought them home and haven't been exposed to any other animals. She recommended we take their food away for 12 hours and then limit it until their poops get more solid again, to give their digestive system a chance to settle down. She thinks the diarrhea is related to the new food we started introducing and said to go back to the cheap kitty chow my friends were feeding them before. We took the food away around 9 PM last night and then gave it back at 9 this morning, and didn't refill the dish. There's about a 1/4 cup of food in there right now and I'll wait till later in the day to refill it. They sleep a LOT during the day...

Gonna try that and if it doesn't clear up in the next couple days will take them in to get them checked for worms. There is a homeopathic worm remedy at the pet store, so if they do have worms, that might be a good first try. The pet store owner said it doesn't kill the worms, it just creates a hostile environment in their intestines and the worms "leave". :shiver :yuck That just grosses me out on SO many levels... Praying it's not that!!!

believer
08-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Mixing a little canned pumpkin in w/ the canned food can help some.
Worms don't usually cause diarrhea that I am aware of.
There is OTC kitty diarrhea med that you can get in the pet store and mix a tiny bit of that in w/ their wet food also. Rice is also good. You can brown ground beef and mix that w/ rice and they love that and it can help too. If you have not taken them to the vet yet, they probably should go sometime soon to get shots and worm med if needed.

itzj
08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I would want a fecal run. They are pretty cheap too. Coccidia causes diarrhea. And can incubate for a couple weeks. It just seems worth it to rule it out to me, rather than assume it's the food and do lots of trial and error that involves nutrient deprivation.

believer
08-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Coccidia causes yellowish runny diarrhea if it is that. There is a med called Albon for coccidia, but I would not give it to them if it is not necessary.
Most kittens and puppies do have worms I think :shrug3. It can be gross if it is bad - grossness in spoiler

I have seen them poo or barf out worms - spaghetti looking stuff sometimes after getting worm med - soooo gross:sick, but I imagine they feel much better after that. :yes