PDA

View Full Version : Any more Ideas?

Llee
08-14-2011, 10:01 AM
We have a sweet six y o Chow/German pound dog (about knee height/ 42 lbs). We got her when she was six weeks old and she had been abused--her leg was do badly damaged when we got her that the vet had to make a false socket for her.

She severely reinjured her leg yesterday and isn't eating/drinking very much. She has eliminated several times though.

She is crying a lot when she moves. I carry her outside or to different rooms. Once she gets moving, she doesn't cry as much, but we don't have a yard for her to free run in right now.

Normally we'd give her a pain pill and let her sleep it off (vet said that's really the only thing we can do for her, with her leg). Naturally, we can't find her pain meds and don't get paid for a few more days. Oh, and we just moved, so no vet in this area yet.

Any ideas on what to do for her for the next few days?

LoveIsGentle
08-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Arnica, maybe? I always hear it recommended for dogs' injuries.

Our old vet recommended Tylenol for our dogs, but a quick Google brings up some pretty mixed information about whether or not it's safe.

I wonder if you called around to vets in the area if they could give you some suggestions for in the meantime.

Amber
08-14-2011, 10:42 AM
I would not use Tylenol or ibuprofen for dogs (or cats), they have a really hard time processing it and it can easily lead to toxicity.

Is it her hip that is injured? If she tollerates it you can use a towel as a sling under her belly to help her move around. You could pull up on the towel enough to keep her from putting weight on that injured leg.

PrincessAnika
08-16-2011, 06:10 PM
nan gives her dogs aspirin....:shrug2

Llee
08-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice! We went with giving nothing for now. She took about 2 days and just slept and slept; we had to carry her from place to place and she didn't eat anything and just drank a little. By yesterday she was doing things on her own again and actually eating and drinking. :woohoo

I think I'll put a call into our old vet and see if they'll do a scrip without seeing her. Then my friend can pick it up and bring it here next week so we'll have it just in case. :think I may see if I can up her glucosamine intake too.