PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use essiential oils in the.....

mom2chrisnluke
08-13-2011, 07:38 AM
washing machine? I have a front loader, how can I add oils to add fresh smell to laundry? I have lavender and orange oils! TIA for any suggestions!!

The Tickle Momster
08-13-2011, 07:45 AM
I put them in the fabric softener dispenser with vinegar.

lillytree
08-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks for this post, I would like to use these to so do I put the orange and lavender in together? Also what type of vinegar do I use and how much do I need?

Many thanks

DancingWithElves
08-13-2011, 02:55 PM
i would be very careful :) many essential oils are complex in chemical composition, are more resins than oils. they will congeal and stick to plastic components, possibly clogging pipes, and preventing normal function of moving parts.

TTO is ok to use, just a few drops, it gets well emulsified with the detergent and moves out. others can be very tricky.

a better option is to have a sachet in the dryer ;)

The Tickle Momster
08-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for that info, Irene. I've noticed a build up in the dispenser. Didn't realize it could gum up the works in other parts of the washer. I've been using Theive's oil. :think

Psyche
08-13-2011, 08:00 PM
For our sheets and bedding, I"ll put some lavendar and cinnamon oil (cinnamon used VERY sparingly, no more than three or four drops, I use about 10 of lavendar) on a piece of flannel (old cloth wipe) into the dryer. Smells yum!

DancingWithElves
08-13-2011, 08:01 PM
both cinnamon and cloves in thieves will congeal into an un-scrubbable mess :shiver don't ask me how i know :)

Psyche
08-13-2011, 08:02 PM
both cinnamon and cloves in thieves will congeal into an un-scrubbable mess :shiver don't ask me how i know :)

Really? Its worked swimmingly for me. I wonder why the different.

FaithHopeLove
08-14-2011, 09:54 PM
I put about seven drops right in my fabric softener dispenser. I mostly use lavender, but also have used orange or lemon. Done it for years, and never had any problem that I know of.