PDA

View Full Version : what do you use for canning?

passthemanna
08-10-2011, 08:52 AM
what do you more experienced ladies use for canning? i've accidentally canned spaghetti sauce a few times now when i put it into glass jars while it was warm. the lids popped in, but since it was peach jars that i've used dozens of times i was afraid to store them anywhere but the freezer :nails. our fridge & freezer are super small so i'd love to start canning.

do you use pressure canners? a large pot? i've read that it's safest to use a large pressure canner so that i can know what pressure & temp my food is at for a given length of time. which brands of pressure cooker/canners are best? i have a stainless steel Fagor pressure cooker, but the handle is broken & the lid no longer seals well. i'm thinking i should be looking to buy something with a wider pot as well :think
:popcorn
also where do you usually find the best deals on jars & lids?

MTmomma
08-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I use a water bath for fruits, jams, pickles, and relishes and a pressure canner for everything else (tomato sauce, meat, veggies).

I have a big canning kettle that I use for the water bath. You can get them fairly cheap as a whole canning kit at a variety of places. It's way super easy to do! If you're interested in canning things that would require the higher heat of a pressure canner, I would invest in a pressure canner and not just a pressure cooker. They range in price.....the one I have is All American (I think) and it was on the more expensive side of things, but there isn't a rubber gasket to worry about on that one, and I fully expect to be able to pass it down to my children to use when they're grown.

As for jars....you can often find them pretty cheap at garage sales and thrift stores. Otherwise, I know Sam's Club sells them for a pretty good deal. They're really not that hard to find, but you'll get more bang for your buck if you can find them used. Just check for chips around the rim!

passthemanna
08-10-2011, 09:27 AM
what's a good size for a pressure canner? I found this one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/All-American-921-All-American-Pressure/dp/B00004S88Z/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1312993576&sr=1-2 it says it's made from cast aluminum...is that good or what should a canner be made of?

MTmomma
08-10-2011, 10:35 AM
what's a good size for a pressure canner? I found this one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/All-American-921-All-American-Pressure/dp/B00004S88Z/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1312993576&sr=1-2 it says it's made from cast aluminum...is that good or what should a canner be made of?

That's the exact pressure canner I have. I LOOOOOVE it! It is very sturdy, and it can handle a big batch of jars.